Blue Meridian Partners is a pioneering philanthropic model for finding and funding scalable solutions to the problems that limit economic mobility and trap America’s young people and families in poverty.
We know solutions exist, but even the most promising strategies cannot reach far enough, fast enough without significant, long-term investment. We bring an innovative, investor mindset backed by a decades-long track record to the pursuit of upward economic mobility for individuals and communities. Core to our mission is addressing systemic inequities and the injustices they create. By pooling resources, our Partners can unlock substantial philanthropic capital and invest effectively and efficiently.
Anchored by our carefully tested, performance-based investing approach, Blue Meridian makes strategic, long-term investments across multiple portfolios aimed at boosting economic mobility from cradle to career. We support both nationwide and place-based strategies in order to amplify impact across the country as well as within specific communities. We identify visionary social sector leaders who address key drivers of poverty – including youth unemployment, unplanned pregnancy, and engagement with the criminal justice system – and invest the flexible, upfront capital they need to dream bigger and exponentially expand their reach, influence, and impact.
We are constantly learning, exploring, and seeking out new collaborations in relentless pursuit of creating lasting impact at scale that can change the life trajectories of millions of young people and families in America. Blue Meridian is staffed by an experienced team of results-focused leaders and we welcome other mission-driven champions to join us.
Managing Directors provide strategic leadership and help execute and innovate on critical business priorities for Blue Meridian Partners. They will lead the process to identify new investment opportunities, serve as trusted advisors to investee CEOs, support long-term multi-year investments in organizations focused on addressing significant social problems on a national scale and monitor the impact and sustainability of these innovative efforts.
Managing Directors are members of a dynamic leadership team. Operating with great flexibility and freedom while working closely with other Managing Directors, the CEO and Blue Meridian’s investment Partners they provide the leadership necessary to advance Blue Meridian’s mission.
Remote/New York City preferred
For consideration, please submit a thoughtful cover letter discussing what attracts you specifically to Blue Meridian's mission and resume detailing your relevant experiences.
A Managing Director oversees and manages, delegating and working with other team members where appropriate, activities that may include but are not limited to the following:
Source Potential Investees
- Actively identify a pipeline of new investment opportunities that meet Blue Meridian standards and advance portfolio objectives.
- Conduct due diligence to explore opportunities and make investment recommendations.
Lead Relationships with Investees
- Ensure investee leaders and their teams receive excellent relationship management and support from Blue Meridian.
- Earn and maintain the respect of investees and serve as a trusted partner and advisor to their CEOs and boards. This includes representing Blue Meridian Partners with investee boards and advising on strategy, scaling plans, and milestones; evaluation and evidence building; board development; fundraising; organizational design; and human capital and communications.
- Develop and present regular progress reports to the Blue Meridian board and other Partners. Review and approve materials and talking points for Partner updates.
- Design and facilitate investee meetings, strategy sessions and performance reviews.
- Identify advisors, consultants and other resources to ensure robust support for investees.
Lead Innovation Initiatives
To expand its work and enhance its competitiveness, Blue Meridian will develop from time to time “innovation initiatives.” These will usually be staffed on a part-time basis by Blue Meridian team members, depending on their skills and experience as well as their interests wherever possible.
A Managing Director may lead or co-lead one or more innovation initiatives and oversee activities including:
- Conduct research and engaging in landscaping exercises to determine opportunities in a given field.
- Develop concepts, strategies and proposals for future areas of potential investment.
- Plan, manage, and evaluate initiatives.
- Provide guidance and direction to other team members.
Contribute to Portfolio Strategy and Firm Leadership
- Contribute to the development of Blue Meridian’s portfolio strategy and business plans, and to the continuing evolution of its investment practices. Stay abreast of trends that affect Blue Meridian and its investments.
- Capture ongoing learning from investments and broader trends to continuously inform and improve Blue Meridian’s and investee’s strategy and operations.
- Serve as an external spokesperson/representative of Blue Meridian and assist as needed with fundraising, Partner engagement, and other activities.
- Oversee and participate in the recruitment, development, and management of top talent to build and sustain a high-performing team.
- Contribute to and participate in board, Partner and committee meetings.
- Perform other general management duties including recruiting, developing and providing oversight to more junior staff.
- Managing Directors must believe in Blue Meridian’s mission and be driven by personal values that align closely with Blue Meridian’s core values.
- At least 20 years of professional experience, ideally in both for-profit and nonprofit environments, either in significant line-leadership roles managing initiatives or parts of organizations, or as strategy, financial and/or change-management consultants to the senior leadership of high-growth organizations. Experience with strategic philanthropy is essential. A Bachelor’s degree is required, an advanced degree in a related field (e.g. business, law, or public administration) is desirable.
- Experience in post-secondary education, particularly minority-serving institutions (e.g., HBCU, HIS) is preferred.
- A track record of playing a significant role in an organization’s achievement of innovative results, demonstrating the ability to formulate and execute effective strategies, chart clear courses of action that require complex, multi-disciplinary teamwork, and the measurement of and accountability for results.
- Perspective from direct experience living or working in communities with significant low income or otherwise disenfranchised peoples preferred.
- Strong skills in developing and managing external and internal relationships and partnerships, working directly with senior executives, boards of directors and investors, leading teams, building and stewarding relationships, networks and agreements, and managing complex business associations.
- A superior ability to analyze, assess and conceptualize the implications of quantitative and qualitative data, sometimes amid disparate and even contradictory information.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, comfortable engaging with and presenting at senior levels
- Highly energetic, self-motivated, and entrepreneurial, able to balance a meticulous and highly rigorous professional approach with a flexible and empathetic responsiveness to the needs of others. While skilled at thinking and working independently and advocating own point of view, respects and solicits the contributions of others.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a professional and genial demeanor, and the ability to work with and lead people with different backgrounds and experiences
- Strong computer skills with extensive knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to master new software quickly. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM and SharePoint is a plus.
- Willing to travel frequently.
Blue Meridian Partners is committed to equal employment opportunity, without regard to race, color, gender, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, veteran status, prior record of arrest or conviction, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. These opportunities include all terms, conditions and privileges of employment, including (but not limited to) recruiting, hiring, job assignment, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, promotion, and termination.
 This position description is a guide to the primary duties and functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and may be revised to meet the changing needs of Blue Meridian Partners at the sole discretion of management.