Are you a materials science and electrochemistry super star? Have you worked in the battery, fuel cell, solar, semiconductor, or other electronic materials industry? Are you hungry for a role where you will have an immediate impact across the company and in the industry? Batteries are the single most critical part of the new energy economy for EVs, grid storage, consumer and IoT. Blue Current has developed a solid-state solution that exceeds the best batteries in the industry. The company is well funded and has a deep IP portfolio with dozens of patents granted and pending. Now we need you to drive the next level of innovation in our cell development.
As a Senior Battery Scientist, you will be focused on developing new solid state electrode materials with a specific focus on Blue Current’s composite silicon anode technology. A background in materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, or a related field is preferred. Additional experience developing and silicon active material anodes is required. This position will offer hands-on, fast paced work on a growing team that has a shared passion to change the energy storage landscape.
- Develop and test composite solid state, silicon anode materials and formulations that improve cell performance and safety.
- Assemble solid state cells and perform electrochemical testing to analyze the impact of silicon active materials and electrode composition on cell performance.
- Characterize cell materials using various analytical (e.g. SEM, XRD, TGA, etc.) and electrochemical (e.g. EIS and CV) techniques.
- Analyze electrochemical testing and analytical characterization results to understand the impact of anode material properties on cell performance.
- Document and analyze experimental results. Present and share results with team members.
- Help set the technical direction for cell development and company technical strategy.
- Develop and submit intellectual property.
- PhD/MS in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or similar field with a focus on batteries, capacitors, fuel cells, or other electrochemical devices
- Track record of peer-reviewed journal articles
- Experience testing silicon active materials and/or polymer materials for silicon anodes is required
- 2+ years of experience working at an battery manufacturer or R&D company is highly preferred
- Experience with electrochemical tests such as EIS, GITT, HPPC, CV, and others
- Familiarity and experience working with analytical tools such as SEM, XRD, TGA, FTIR, DSC, and TGA
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and experience working with team members to overcome technical challenges
- Appreciation for and adherence to lab and work safety policies
Blue Current is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and embraces diversity. We believe that our team is strengthened through hiring and retaining employees with diverse backgrounds, skill sets, ideas, and perspectives. We make hiring decisions based on merit and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex or gender (including pregnancy) gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, marital, veteran, disability status or any other protected category in accordance with applicable law.