Are you an experienced automotive battery cell engineering leader? Have you taken new battery designs from R&D to large scale production? Have you dreamt of being part of the shift to solid-state? Blue Current is an energy storage startup company focused on the next wave of innovation in the battery industry. We’ve developed a 100% dry, safe and high-performance battery based on what we call “silicon elastic composite” technology. This is a fast-paced hands-on leadership position with a team that has a shared passion to change the energy storage landscape. Responsibilities include the following.
What you’ll accomplish
You will own customer facing roadmap and product deliverables for first multi-layer and multi amp-hour cell designs
- Drive the overall battery technology platform and test plan as we move from R&D to pilot scale
- Drive quarterly cadence of updates and stage gate transitions partnering with R&D and process engineering to select best SOPs to meet performance and scalability goals
- Internalize compliance and system design concepts like cell to pack from customers
- Work with data analytics team to characterize and optimize performance
- Partner with manufacturing process engineering to ensure economics and scalability of design
- Own and ensure alignment on bill of materials with product requirements (BOM)
Your experience and qualifications
- PhD or MS in chemistry, chemical or mechanical engineering, materials science, or related field.
- 10-15+ years of work experience with pouch or prismatic compliant batteries for automotive
- Built and led engineering teams including setting goals, coaching and inspiring
- Experience working with high-speed battery manufacturing systems
- Experience assembling battery cells and developing new electrode and electrolyte formulations.
- Appreciation for and adherence to lab and work safety policies
- Positive, can-do attitude and experience coaching and inspiring team to overcome technical challenges
- Creative thinker with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and experience sharing results with team members and leadership
We are in Hayward, CA at the center of the Bay Area, between San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose. From the shoreline to the hills, Hayward is a vibrant community at the center of it all featuring 20 miles of hiking and walking trails, many of which are accessible from Blue Current’s campus.
About Blue Current
Blue Current is a leader in the next wave of battery innovation. The company manufactures completely dry, safe and high-performance silicon elastic composite solid-state batteries to power the new energy economy including electric vehicles, grid storage and consumer electronics. Blue Current leads with science, data, and thoughtful IP across the full battery stack. We are hiring in all areas of battery design and manufacturing. Come build with us!