As a research and development technician you will be focused on producing battery materials and/or building cells that deliver high energy density, safety, and manufacturability. You will be spending your day creating a supply of materials and/or building cells and then characterizing all in an effort to support your team. A background in materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, or any related field is preferred. This position will offer hands-on, fast paced work on a growing team that has a shared passion to change the energy storage landscape.
- Produce various battery components (electrolyte material, electrodes, and cell components) you will be trained, no previous experience necessary
- Characterize cell materials using with various analytical techniques (e.g. SEM, XRD, TGA, Raman)
- Assemble solid state cells and put up for test*
- Work with team members to discuss characterization results to understand the impact of material properties on cell performance
- Maintain the organization and cleanliness of the laboratory spaces.
- Perform frequent preventative maintenance and calibrations on equipment to maintain best operating conditions and functionality
- Complete material documentation accurately and timely with detail.
- Quickly adapt to constantly evolving processes of core technology while maintaining detailed notes.
- Experience working in an environment that requires strong attention to detail and precision (for example, a lab or a kitchen)
- Consistent and thorough documentation, and standard operating procedures
- Ability to work in a dry room and a glove box for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time and perform hand intensive repetitive tasks
- Above-average fine manual dexterity and visual acuity
- Working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and experience working with team members to overcome technical challenges
- Clear written and verbal skills to logically communicate ideas and thought processes
- Appreciation for and adherence to lab and work safety policies
- Ability to read and understand SDS
- BA/BS in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, or similar field lab science
- Previous glovebox/dry room experience
- Previous chemical manufacturing experience
- Familiarity with using analytical tools such as SEM, XRD, TGA, FTIR, TGA
- 1+ years of work experience in a fast-paced lab or manufacturing environment requiring high accuracy execution of processes or experiments
- Experience of working in a chemical laboratory and handling hazardous materials
- Basic knowledge about chemistry (understanding of difference between acid/base, meaning of pH, and awareness of those risks)
- Experience in powder process, e.g. batching, mixing, coating, calendaring experience or other densification techniques
About Blue Current
Blue Current is a manufacturer of Solid-state batteries based in Hayward, California. The company strives to provide engineers and designers with the highest performance and safest battery storage for the future energy economy including electric vehicles, consumer, medical and
IoT devices. Blue Current leads with science, data and thoughtful IP across the full battery solution stack. Our team is diverse with deep research, implementation, and go-to-market experience. Our facility is located on San Francisco Bay with thousands of acres of wildlife preserve and miles of trails for recreation.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Hayward, CA 94545: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
Work Location: One location