ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
bluebird bio’s Oncology Research Department is looking to add a Senior Associate Scientist to the team in Cambridge, MA. This group identifies and develops novel strategies that enhance anti-tumor T cell activity through synthetic biology and genetic engineering. We are looking for an inquisitive teammate who shares our drive to solve hard problems by bringing excellent technical experience and excitement to learn new things. If you are interested in contributing to bluebird’s life-changing science, come join us!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As an Oncology Research bird reporting to a Scientist, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Engineering CAR T cells using viral vectors or other gene editing approaches
- Expansion and analysis of genetically modified primary T cells
- Maintaining tumor cell and primary cell cultures using aseptic technique
- Performing in vitro immunological assays including but not limited to flow cytometry, ELISA/MSD, real time PCR and cytotoxicity analysis
- Effectively collaborating cross-site and cross-functionally to develop study design and obtain test materials and reagents
- Contributing to study design, execution and data analysis
- Compiling and presenting data to functional teams
- Performing general lab tasks in accordance with lab safety policies
- Maintaining detailed and accurate documentation in an electronic lab notebook
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- BS/MS in cell biology, immunology or related discipline with 4+ years’ experience
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, such as tumor cell lines – primary T cell experience is a plus
- Experience with standard immunological assays (flow cytometry, MSD/Luminex)
- Experience working with automated HTP liquid handlers is a plus
- Competency in basic molecular biology techniques, including cell line engineering
- Working knowledge of various software (e.g. FlowJo, GraphPad Prism, FACSDiva, Geneious)
- Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize and balance work from multiple sources
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.