ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The In Vivo Sciences flock is all about team work and laying the scientific foundation that our therapies are built upon. Whether it’s making sure we are providing high quality animal care, generating the protocols and studies that drive our cutting edge in vivo research, or generating the data critical to translating our innovative therapies safely from research into patients, we are driven by our passion for the science and the patients. Come work with a team-focused group of birds that loves rising to the challenge much as we enjoy working and laughing with one another!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
We are seeking a motivated and dedicated animal care technician who will provide daily care to our animals, perform husbandry and support facility operations with the opportunity to develop technical skills to support studies.
As an In Vivo Sciences bird reporting to the Associate Director, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Taking care of our animal colony and routine husbandry such as performing cage changing, animal health observations, animal receipt, and basic health treatments.
- Complying with all standard operating procedures to assure a high-level standard of care for our research animals.
- Ensuring biosecurity controls including the cleanliness and sanitization of the vivarium space.
- Being accountable for all assigned work areas and assuring high quality maintenance of facility paperwork and logs.
- Monitoring and maintaining vivarium supplies such as PPE, tissue culture materials, lab chemicals, and research related equipment.
- Providing assistance with in vivo experiments by performing necropsies, clinical observations, and dose administration, among other technical procedures as needed. These skills can be developed and refined within your career progression.
- Leading vivarium-based initiatives independently and providing guidance to other team members as needed.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you have:
- 2+ years’ experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with research animal support required (mouse in particular), including animal handling, husbandry and maintaining laboratory cleanliness and organization
- A desire to learn scientific understanding of our in vivo models. Preferred experience with in vivo mouse procedures, such as necropsies and SC/IP/IV injections, or a desire to learn.
- Detail-oriented and comfortable with routinely filling out important laboratory records, such as daily animal health check logs, room temperature/humidity readings, etc.
- A flexible work schedule, weekends and holiday work are required but shared among the team.
- AALAS certification a plus
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities skills to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.