ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
Join bluebird bio’s cutting-edge Oncology Research team in Seattle developing novel technologies to enhance the success of our gene and cell therapy programs. We are focused on delivering transformative therapies to patients. If you crave innovation, embrace new challenges, and strive to solve tough problems, come join us! We are a team that works, learns, and grows together - and we're eager to start co-creating with you! Our diverse flock of birds is united by a singular focus: a passionate commitment to changing the lives of patients and supporting each other on this journey.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
The successful candidate will provide critical protein science expertise for ongoing and emerging research projects. Activities will include protein and construct design, protein expression, purification and biochemical characterization as well as cross-functional stakeholder management. Opportunities to grow the Protein Science team into more advanced molecular engineering projects and analytical assays are abundant.
As an Oncology Research bird reporting to a Director, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Leading expression and purification of recombinant antibodies/proteins in mammalian system to support advancing projects and programs including generating data for IND and BLA filings.
- Overseeing characterization and quality assessments (e.g. SDS-PAGE, HPLC, endotoxin, SPR, epitope, competitive ELISA) of purified proteins.
- Independently planning, designing, executing, analyzing and recording experiments
- Maintaining request queue tracking, and generate sample reports
- Proactively investigating different technologies, methods, and emerging tools to increase work efficiency
- Participating in project and functional team meetings to identify and solve problems, and present data
- Providing protein science expertise and effectively collaborate with multidisciplinary scientists on cross-functional teams
- Acting as key point person to interface with and establish vendor/CRO relationships
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you have:
- BSc/MSc with 8+ years or PhD with 5+ years track record of lab experience with a protein biochemistry focus
- Degree in biology, cell biology, microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, bioengineering, biophysics or related discipline
- Expertise in antibody/protein expression and purification techniques and biochemical analyses required, in particular Akta and Chromatography Platforms
- Experience with antibody discovery and characterization a plus
- Hands on experience with mammalian adherent and suspension-adapted cell culture, transfections, virus packaging and transductions
- Experience with protein conjugation chemistry
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, including bacterial culture, plasmid preparation, PCR, restriction digestion, Gibson Assembly, and electroporation
- Experience with biophysical characterization techniques such as SPR, fluorescent binding assays, cell-based kinetic assays is a plus
- Experience with DNA software tools including with plasmid and sequence analysis (e.g. Geneious) and data analysis programs such as GraphPad Prism
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.