ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
bluebird bio is seeking a biotech Patent Attorney with 3+ years of experience to join its colorful and cooperative Legal team. Reporting to the Chief Operating and Legal Officer, this person will direct bluebird bio’s intellectual property strategy and support all the company’s IP needs, including patent preparation and prosecution, trademark and domain name management, trade secret and copyright protection. The successful candidate will directly work on a broad range of global patent preparation & prosecution matters in a fast-paced environment to build and maintain a strong intellectual property portfolio in support of the company’s development and commercialization efforts. In addition, the successful candidate will provide diligence and litigation support as needed. The successful candidate should have experience in supervising outside counsel, communicating IP strategies and risks to stakeholders, and meaningful patent drafting and prosecution experience in the fields of gene therapy and lentiviral vector technologies, and significant research or technical experience in these fields.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Responsible for bluebird bio IP function
- Identify patentable inventions through frequent interactions with internal R&D project teams, and facilitate the creation of appropriate patent protection strategies and execute on those strategies
- Interact and instruct outside counsel on patent and trademark filing and prosecution
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications directly with the USPTO
- Review proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on patent portfolio
- Draft/commission patentability and FTO opinions for R&D pipeline programs
- Advise Business Development, Regulatory, and Commercial teams on IP issues
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Superior academic credentials from well-regarded institutions
- D. in Biochemistry, Biology, Molecular Biology, or Genetics preferred; BS/MS degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Molecular Biology, or Genetics with substantial relevant research experience will be considered
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice before at least one state bar for attorney position
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in prosecuting and preparing technically relevant patent applications at a highly regarded law firm, corporate legal department or university tech transfer office is preferred; Preference may be given to candidates that have practiced patent law at a highly-regarded law firm and in a corporate legal department or tech transfer office. In addition, ideal candidates will have significant research or technical experience in gene therapy.
- Detailed knowledge of US and foreign patent and trademark laws is preferred
- Strong communication skills are essential; should be proficient in MS Office suite;
- Demonstrated interpersonal interaction skills;
- Strong analytical thinking and attention to detail;
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills; should be a self-starter; should be able to effectively handle multiple matters simultaneously, and should be adept at adjusting priorities when required
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.