ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
In addition to innovative science, industry leading infrastructure, and seasoned experience in developing gene therapies, bluebird bio is also a company that values its rich employee culture and supports a healthy work/life balance. When the gene editing department is not busy delivering a nuclease to a 30 base pair region of a 3 billion base pair genome, blasting cells with electricity to drive nucleic acids across cellular membranes, and precisely altering the physiology of cells in vivo to restore or achieve new capabilities, you will find us spending time with our families, enjoying the outdoors, or learning to curl with our coworkers. If you are looking to do cutting-edge science in a fun and collaborative environment, apply for our job!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
Join bluebird bio’s gene editing team and help us realize our mission of “recoding for life”. We are working across a spectrum of ex vivo and in vivo applications of gene editing technology, focused on solving the problems that need to be solved to bring this cutting-edge science to patients. We work in close collaboration with our colleagues across functional teams, to integrate gene editing into and expand our therapeutic portfolio.
As a Gene Editing bird reporting to a Senior Scientist, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Instituting and maintaining in vitro and in vivo molecular and cellular workflows to support in vivo gene editing studies
- Working with internal and external cross-functional teams to coordinate in vitro and in vivo gene editing studies from design to execution
- Establishing in vitro gene editing knock in platform for the screening of candidate AAV donor sequences
- Mentoring junior scientists
- Analyzing, interpreting ,and presenting findings to internal and external audience
- Helping with continual improvement of operational efficiency and lab practices
- Working across the company to ensure the rapid development of novel gene editing approaches in vivo and in vitro.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you have:
- PhD degree in a related field with 1+ years’ experience developing therapeutic gene editing paradigms
- Strong practical experience with a wide variety of molecular and cellular biology techniques (PCR, ddPCR, qPCR, IVT, westerns, molecular cloning, gene editing, cell line maintenance)
- Functional AAV experience and previous in vivo modeling work highly desirable
- Track record of independence and scientific accomplishments
- Scientific curiosity paired with a strong work ethic and grit
- Ability to think creatively and independently and be adaptable to change
- Excellent communications skills and ability to manage projects with internal and external collaborators
- Organized and diligent in experimental design, execution, and reporting
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.