ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
Join the lentiviral vector process development team at bluebird bio! bluebird bio is seeking a candidate to continue to build out our development and manufacturing platform driving early stage pipeline research, while supporting late stage tech transfers and manufacturing scale-up. bluebird bio has one approved product (Zynteglo™) and multiple clinical stage candidates in the areas of severe genetic diseases and oncology and more on the way! We seek candidates with proven ability to successfully work independently and collaboratively across functions to enhance quality, quantity, efficiency, and fuel breakthroughs that can serve patients better and deliver an impact to people’s lives, all while trying not to take ourselves too seriously.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As a Vector Process Development bird reporting to Manager, Lab Operations, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Planning and producing lentiviral vector to support early pipeline research, and other development initiatives through our platform processes including laboratory equipment management, mammalian cell culture, buffer preparation, transfection, membrane purification, UF/DF, sterile filtration, reagent qualification, and sample prep for analysis.
- Organizing and trending process data to monitor process capability across pipeline candidates and utilize statistical analysis to leverage data into new insight for further development work.
- Assisting in the pilot plant platform and execution to support tech transfer activities and early pipeline development.
- Writing, reviewing, and approving technical documentation in a highly organized manner including development protocols, reports, batch records, laboratory notebook, and SOPs.
- Implementing changes to the vector production process through creative problem solving to streamline, and improve robustness, capacity, and throughput.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- Have a B.S. or M.S. with 1+ year of relevant industry experience in chemical engineering, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, molecular biology, or related field preferred.
- Hands-on experience in Upstream and Downstream Processes encompassing mammalian cell culture, bioreactors, and various purification operations, general laboratory techniques, and good documentation and writing skills.
- Experience with AKTA and Unicorn systems, preferred.
- General knowledge of process development and pharmaceutical manufacturing is preferred. Experience with scale-up and pilot plant operations a plus.
- Familiarity of analytical methods, data validation and organization, and experience in statistical analysis using JMP preferred.
- Experience with high throughput systems, sampling, and design of experimentation (DOE) preferred.
- Knowledge of cGMP/ICH/FDA regulations and experience in working with outside vendors and CxOs preferred.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.