ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approaches. bluebird bio seeks a motivated scientist to support important development projects within our Vector Process Development (VPD) group working on next generation process development. Candidates should have a proven record for innovating, collaborating, leading, and driving scientific advancement. In this role, you will have the opportunity to drive cutting-edge technology and scientific advancement that ultimately serve patients with gene-modified stem cell or T-cell based immunotherapy products.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
Responsible for designing, planning and executing experiments as well as analyzing experimental results related to the development of viral vector processes.
As a Vector Process Development bird reporting to Senior Director, Process Development, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Leveraging, creating and implementing innovative ideas for medium development. Improve formulation and chemistry understanding to develop better viral vector production media
- Working independently to design and execute experiments related to development, optimization, scale-up, and characterization of all steps in a cell culture process
- Demonstrating advanced knowledge of principals and techniques in cell culture, bioreactor operation, viral vector production, and process intensification
- Collaborating with academia, industry partners, and vendors to drive development, innovation, and adoption of new process technologies.
- Contributing to building a culture that embraces continuous learning and innovation, while encouraging team members to expand their technical skills and deepen their cell and gene therapy expertise
- Writing technical development reports, cGMP campaign summary reports and relevant sections in regulatory filings."
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- Have a BS with 8-10 years of directly related experience or MS with 5-6 years of directly related experience, or PhD with 0-3 years of experience in viral vector research and development. Degree emphasis in Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biology, or related field preferred.
- An in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of the cell culture process development for the production of biologics or more specifically viral vectors.
- Experience with media development and process intensification including implementing advanced feeding strategies and high cell density production to reduce CoGs is highly preferred.
- Ability to conduct laboratory experiments while complying to safe work environment and good laboratory notebook practices.
- Good scientific aptitude allowing formulation of hypothesis, design and execution of experiments, data analysis and sound scientific conclusions.
- Experience with bioreactors and process analytical technology is desired.
- Experience with high-throughput process development techniques and statistical design of experiment (DoE) is preferred.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.