ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The In Vivo Sciences flock is part of the Preclinical and Translational Development group which works with bluebird bio’s discovery platforms and translational research teams to generate the hypotheses, mechanism-of-action, and efficacy data that fuel the bluebird pipeline. We also work with our clinical and regulatory teams to generate the toxicology and biodistribution data that is critical to translating each of bluebird’s innovative therapies safely from research into patients. In doing so, we continuously strive towards our mission to be the biotech world’s best preclinical development organization for immunotherapy and gene therapy. Come work with an energetic group of birds who love rising to the challenge, as much as we love to support one another inside and outside of the nest.
HOW YOU'LL FLY
We are seeking a highly motivated Study Lead (Senior Associate Scientist I/II) with extensive experience planning, managing and executing preclinical in vivo studies to support Oncology and Gene Editing programs. As an In Vivo Sciences bird reporting to the Associate Director, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Planning and executing in vivo efficacy, PK/PD, biodistribution & safety studies in mouse tumor models and PBMC or stem cell engraftment models in collaboration with research scientists.
- Establishing new animal models as needed, including pilot studies for model development, troubleshooting, and model characterization.
- Recording and analyzing data using software including Excel, GraphPad Prism, and Studylog.
- Preparing and presenting data to various groups within the organization.
- Planning and coordinating with other scientists within In Vivo Sciences and across various functions such as Research, Translation, and Pathology to ensure efficient study execution, sample transfer, and analysis
- Contributing to the initial and recurrent training of junior vivarium staff members
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You're the bird we're looking for if you have:
- BA/BS with 5+ or MS with 3+ years’ experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience with managing and executing in vivo studies in mice required, including animal handling, performing routine injections (sc, ip, iv), tumor measurements, IVIS imaging, necropsy, collection of blood and tissues
- Experience working with a variety of mouse strains and tumor models including xenografts, syngeneics, and transgenics
- Experience with PBMC or stem cell engraftments is desirable
- Experience conducting or working alongside research scientists to analyze tissue samples is desirable
- Experience in maintaining a laboratory notebook and following written protocols
- Familiarity with programs such as Excel, Studylog, GraphPad Prism and PowerPoint for data entry, analysis and presentations
- Excellent organizational skills towards multi-tasking in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.