ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approaches. bluebird bio seeks a motivated scientist to support important development projects within our Vector Process Development (VPD) group working on next generation process development. Candidates should have a proven record for innovating, collaborating, leading, and driving scientific advancement. In this role, you will have the opportunity to drive cutting-edge technology and scientific advancement that ultimately serve patients with gene-modified stem cell or T-cell based immunotherapy products.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As a Vector Process Development bird reporting to Scientist II, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Serving as a subject matter expert in one cell culture process development
- Responsible for leading next generation lentiviral vector process development activities from IND to commercialization
- Designing, direct and execute studies aimed at deepening scientific understanding of process impacts on product quality attributes
- Driving process characterization and validation strategies
- Leading cross functional teams consisting of biology/biochemistry, chemistry, cellular engineering or viral vector backgrounds to implement changes and improvements.
- Responsible for writing/reviewing experimental plans, protocols, reports and managing experimental timelines to meet corporate goals
- Point person for reviewing, and summarizing data via technical reports, batch records, etc. and presenting scientific data
- Mentor and guide associate scientists in the design and execution of their work and careers
- Potential to lead or assist in technology transfer from Development to GMP Manufacturing and provides on the floor support to GMP manufacturing
- Potential to author or review CMC sections for regulatory filings.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- Have a recent Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering or related biological fields OR BS with 8+ years of experience, MS with 5+ years of experience in the development of cellular and gene therapies is required.
- Ability to conduct laboratory experiments while complying to safe work environment and good laboratory notebook practices.
- An in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of the cell culture process development for the production of biologics or more specifically viral vectors.
- Good scientific aptitude allowing formulation of hypothesis, design and execution of experiments, data analysis and sound scientific conclusions.
- Experience with bioreactors and process analytical technology is desired.
- Experience with high-throughput process development techniques and statistical design of experiment (DoE) is preferred.
- Knowledge of GMP/ICH/FDA regulations preferred.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.