ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
About the Flock
bluebird bio’s Oncology Research team is composed of collaborative, intelligent, and passionate individuals driven to grow our cellular immunotherapy programs, singularly focused on delivering best-in-class and therapeutically transformative medicine to patients. Our Molecular Immunology group aims to push the boundary of CAR/TCR designs, from developing elegant molecular mechanisms to control CAR activity for improved efficacy without increased toxicity to engineering CAR/TCR molecules primed for optimal antigen interaction and its subsequent activation. We are inventing new technologies, sculpting new molecules, and finding pioneering academic and industry collaborators – Because patient needs are urgent, and we need bold strategies to combat cancer.
The Seattle branch is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to support CAR-T/TCR pre-clinical research. If you crave innovation, embrace new challenges, and strive to solve tough problems, come join us! We are a team that works, learns, and grows together - and we're eager to start co-creating with you!
How You’ll Fly
As a Scientist on our Molecular Immunology team, you will play a key role in developing and optimizing early product concepts by:
- Bringing a strong scientific foundation in the CAR/TCR field and sound technical fundamentals for basic immunology and molecular biology workflows (cloning, construct design, flow
- Collaborating productively and creatively with other scientists to develop and optimize novel CAR and TCR designs
- Designing and executing studies that provide the scientific basis for making data-driven decisions, focusing on top CAR and TCR constructs
- Developing new assays to improve in vitro to in vivo correlation
- Analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data at working groups and departmental seminars, with opportunities to present work at national conferences
- Contributing to new technology assessment, in-sourcing, and implementation
- Representing the Oncology Research team in a variety of cross-functional forums to provide feedback on scientific strategy, experimental priorities, and timelines
- Keeping up to date with the relevant scientific and technical advancements in the field
What You’ll Bring
- PhD in immunology, molecular biology, or related discipline with 2+ years’ experience in immunology. In-depth understanding of CAR/TCR biology, a plus.
- Expertise in basic molecular biology techniques (cloning, cell line engineering). Familiarity with lentiviral construct design, a plus.
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture, such as tumor cell lines and primary human cells, including the propagation of human T cells.
- Expertise in standard immunological assays (flow cytometry, MSD/ELISA)
- Experience with FlowJo and Graphpad Prism. Geneious, a plus.
- Experience working with automated HTP liquid handlers, a plus.
- Understanding of safe lab practices and BSL requirements.
- Proven ability to effectively plan and organize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Independently motivated, detail-oriented, and good problem-solving with ability and experience to troubleshoot complex technical and scientific problems.
- Strong ability to present data in a variety of team settings and actively participate in departmental meetings as well as cross-functional area research teams.
- Excellent organizational skills, sufficient to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- A passion for addressing the critical unmet medical needs of patients.
- Willingness to embrace and demonstrate the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, and b yourself.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.