ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
Join bluebird bio’s enthusiastic and collaborative team and contribute to the overall success of our novel gene therapy approaches. bluebird bio seeks a motivated senior associate scientist I to support important development projects within our Vector Process Development (VPD) group working on next generation process development. Candidates should have a proven record for innovate, collaborate, lead, and drive scientific advancement. In this role, you will have the opportunity to drive cutting-edge technology and scientific advancement that ultimately serve patients with gene-modified stem cell or T-cell based immunotherapy products.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As a Vector Process Development bird reporting to Scientist II, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Supporting development of platform processes for lentiviral vector: design and perform targeted ex-periments, interpret scientific results, provide statistical analysis where appropriate, summarize and present scientific data and report progress on behalf of the team.
- Collaborating with other members of the VPD team and other departments such as Cell Process Development and Analytical Development teams to deliver a cutting-edge lentiviral vector platform
- Supporting scale-up and tech transfer activities of the lentiviral vector platform to internal manufac-turing partners and/or CMOs
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to support ongoing process operations for current pipeline candidates and current manufacturing network
- Performance of general laboratory tasks, including maintenance of equipment and inventory.
- Generating, manage, evaluate, and maintain critical data in a highly organized manner including lab notebook maintenance with good documentation practices
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- Have BS/MS in Bioengineering, Chemical engineering, Biology, Cell Biology or related biological sciences with 3+ years (MS) 5+ years (BS) of relevant experience in biotechnology or pharmaceutical in-dustry.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with upstream mammalian cell culture process, is required. Experience with viral vector processes preferred.
- Experience with bioreactor processes is preferred.
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, and good problem-solving ability.
- Experience with leading technical projects within a team setting is preferred.
- Ability to manage priorities and make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- A passion for mentoring and developing the scientific capabilities of junior staff.
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.