ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
bluebird bio’s Oncology Research team is composed of intelligent and collaborative individuals who are motivated to develop and deliver innovative cellular immunotherapies to our patients. The Cambridge nest is currently seeking a Senior Associate Scientist to support CAR T/TCR discovery/pre-clinical research. We are looking for an inquisitive teammate who shares our drive to solve hard problems by bringing excellent technical experience and excitement to learn new things. If you are interested in contributing to bluebird’s life-changing science, come join us!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As an Oncology Research bird reporting to a Senior Scientist, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Engineering CAR T/TCR cells using viral vectors or other gene editing approaches
- Growing and analyzing genetically modified primary T cells
- Maintaining tumor cell and primary cell cultures using aseptic technique
- Performing in vitro immunological assays including but not limited to flow cytometry, ELISA/MSD, and cytotoxicity analysis
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to plan experiments and obtain test materials and reagents
- Contributing to study design, execution, and data analysis
- Compiling and presenting data to teams
- Performing general lab tasks in accordance with lab safety policies
- Maintaining detailed and accurate documentation in an electronic lab notebook
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- BS/MS in cell biology, immunology, oncology, or related discipline with 4+ years’ experience
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, such as tumor cell lines – primary T cell experience is a plus
- Experience with standard immunological assays (flow cytometry, MSD/Luminex)
- Competency in basic molecular biology techniques, including cell line engineering
- Working knowledge of various software (e.g. Microsoft Office, FlowJo, GraphPad Prism, FACSDiva, Geneious)
- Experience working with automated HTP liquid handlers is a plus
- Ability to effectively plan and organize work activities to meet schedules and deadlines
- Effectively work independently and as part of a collaborative team comprised of multiple functional groups
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.