ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
Associate Scientist II (Contract)
This role is for a 12-month contract position.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
The Biomarker and Clinical Assay Development (bCAD) group works with bluebird bio’s discovery platforms and translational research teams to generate the hypotheses, mechanism-of-action, and efficacy data that fuel the bluebird pipeline. We also work with our clinical and regulatory teams to generate the toxicology and biodistribution data that is critical to translating each of bluebird’s innovative therapies safely from research into patients. This group has the unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, collaborative and energetic team that will develop analysis and visualization tools applicable to all bluebird bio programs.
We are seeking an Associate Scientist that will contribute to both the clinical and pre-clinical assay development and execution. We are seeking a Senior Associate Scientist that will contribute to both the clinical and pre-clinical assay development and execution. The candidate should have a strong molecular and biochemistry background, Strong technical background in qPCR design and validation, be excited about assay development and troubleshooting, learning new techniques and passionate about developing innovative cancer and rear disease therapies. We are seeking an Associate Scientist that will contribute to both the clinical and pre-clinical assay development and execution. We are seeking a Senior Associate Scientist that will contribute to both the clinical and pre-clinical assay development and execution. The candidate should have a strong molecular and biochemistry background, Strong technical background in qPCR design and validation, be excited about assay development and troubleshooting, learning new techniques and passionate about developing innovative cancer and rare disease therapies.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As an Associate Scientist II bird reporting to a Senior Manager, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Performing routine analytical testing (cell culture, qPCR, and ELISA) and providing accurate, timely results to client groups (Research, Process Development, Manufacturing).
- Creative problem solving is a must-have for this position.
- This is a hands-on position requiring conducting laboratory experiments, good documentation skills, good writing skills, and the flexibility to move between the planning and execution of each required function as needed.
- Contribute to experimental design, execution and analysis of translational assays to support preclinical/clinical assay development across bluebird’s pipeline of gene-modified stem cell and T cell therapies.
- Review, organize, and report/present research data to functional team.
- Manage daily workflow independently and seek advice when appropriate
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook and contribute to support documentation when necessary
- Provide critical lab support while working in a collaborative team environment
- Assist in the writing, review, and approval of technical documentation including development protocols, reports, batch records, and SOPs
- Other related tasks as needed
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you:
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of directly related industry experience in biology, cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, bioengineering, biophysics or related discipline.
- Highly organized, and with significant attention to detail
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques, including but not limited to, PCR, RT-PCR, qPCR, Westerns, and LBAs a plus
- Work with cell culture and aseptic technique
- Ability to quickly adapt to new research areas and implement new techniques independently
- Experience with flow cytometry a plus
- Familiarity working in GxP environments is a plus.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about learning new techniques and working in an interdisciplinary
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.