ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
As a Medical Director, Severe Genetic Diseases (SGD), you are at the heart of the action and will be part of multiple drug approvals and launches over the next 18-30 months. You will help prepare for a launch within the SGD therapeutic area and gain invaluable experience working as part of a great team bringing a transformative gene therapy to patients globally with severe, sometime life-threatening diseases. Medical Directors at bluebird are passionate, action-oriented, medically and scientifically educated experts and compassionate individuals who will work strategically to ready the internal organization and external scientific and medical communities for bluebird’s transformative gene therapy launches for cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (CALD), transfusion dependent thalassemia (TDT) and sickle cell disease (SCD).
Are you passionate about bringing multiple, pioneering therapies to patients with rare diseases, identifying and evaluating gaps in evidence and leading data generation initiatives, and enjoy applying your medical and scientific background as the “medical voice” of the company with external stakeholders? If that is you, then check out this role and its ability to make an impact throughout the organization and the severe genetic disease medical community!
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As a Medical Director SGD, you will be instrumental in shaping and executing the medical strategy for one of our exciting, SGD therapeutic areas. Furthermore, you will be responsible for supporting brand priorities and tactics, including initiating and maintaining relationships with key opinion leaders (in collaboration with the medical science liaison, (MSL) team), initiating research projects within priority areas in support of the clinical and scientific strategy, and presenting key scientific results. To do this, you will collaborate with US and Global Medical Directors and the Real World Evidence Team to:
- Help drive, focus, and feedback to the internal organization and determine strategic implications of medical insights obtained from multiple external sources; based on these insights, adjust plans accordingly and as appropriate.
- Lead key SGD Medical Affairs initiatives, and actively partner with other Medical Directors and medical affairs functions to ensure alignment and execution of the strategic plan, and seamless execution of key activities in close teamwork with other regional/global functions
- Develop and lead external advisory boards and KOL engagement activities to understand community perceptions of SGD standard of care and inform development and lifecycle management strategies for associated SGD therapeutic area.
- Provide medical expertise to cross-functional teams. As a content expert, review abstracts, publications, medical information letters and other documents as needed
- Provide medical leadership for specific data generation activities
- Provide medical/scientific training to internal/external stakeholders as required
- Provide medical and clinical expertise and input for market access, brand and lifecycle strategies within the organization
- Assist in the review of regulatory documents for filings in support of SGD programs
- Works with colleagues globally and regionally at multiple levels to establish ongoing collaborative internal relationships
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You are the bird we are looking for if you have:
- An MD or DO degree with at least 3 years’ experience in Medical Affairs (required); or PhD with at least 5 years relevant experience also considered.
- Experience overseeing the development and execution of Medical Affairs strategic plans in collaboration with regional cross functional and global Medical Affairs partners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; Strong interpersonal skills commensurate with the need to work closely with cross-functional partners and health care professionals
- An ability to anticipate and adapt to change while maintaining the momentum of the overall strategic plan
- Experience working in the hematopoietic stem cell transplant field, rare genetic diseases and/or in a new medical product launch (strongly preferred)
- Experience and prior involvement in MAA and BLA filings, post-filings and pre-/post-approval related activities (preferred)
- A highly analytical and scientific approach, but also have the ability to see the bigger picture, consider the medical implications and have a passion to understand and effectively communicate scientific and medical data to both internal and external medical stakeholders
A highly analytical and scientific approach, but also have the ability to see the bigger picture, consider the medical implications and have a passion to understand and effectively communicate scientific and medical data to both internal and external medical stakeholders
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.