ABOUT THE NEST
At bluebird, only two things matter - patients and our people. When you join the nest, you're not just landing a new gig, you become a part of a flock that's soaring to new heights. We’re 1100+ doers, thinkers and collaborators across the globe with a strong sense of our values and our purpose. Our innovation and sustainability are rooted in the diversity of our teams and results are achieved through cooperation and the incorporation of multiple points of view. This is personal and we approach every challenge with radical care. The time is now to rise up and recode the science, the systems, and the status quo.
ABOUT THE FLOCK
For birds on our manufacturing team, patients and their families are counting on us to deliver for them, especially when it matters most. We are seeking an entrepreneurial manufacturing professional to lead our external mRNA, plasmid, and drug product manufacturing operations team. Ideal candidates will have strong management experience which will be crucial for leading and evolving this function to support a broad portfolio of therapies. Collaborating closely with Quality, Process Development, Manufacturing Sciences and Technology, and Supply Chain, we are seeking a patient-focused leader with a strong technical background and a proven track-record of meeting quality, supply, and cost commitments for clinical products. Come fly with us, this is your chance to help deliver un-incremental change in the emerging field of cell and gene therapy.
HOW YOU’LL FLY
As an Associate Director of External Manufacturing, you'll help to bring more patients their bluebird days by:
- Serving as the single point of accountability for all aspects of performance (Quality, Supply, and Cost) at bluebird’s designated contract manufacturers (CMOs)
- Being directly responsible for batch execution and relationship management as a peer to the CMO site head
- Establishing the strategy and priorities for the cross-functional team and execute to ensure a best-in-class patient experience (including uninterrupted supply and rapid cycle times)
- Attracting, retaining, and developing a team of direct reports to build a high-performing team, with the ability to effectively collaborate with partners remotely.
- Monitoring overall CMO performance, proactively identify risks, and implement actions to reduce the overall risk profile
- Working with internal process development group to tech transfer new processes into CMOs for GMP manufacture.
- Providing the technical expertise around manufacturing for technical reports and regulatory submissions.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
You’re the bird we’re looking for if you have:
- A passion for addressing the critical unmet medical needs of patients
- 12+ years of relevant experience
- Experience leading a team responsible for overseeing GMP manufacturing for biologics
- An unwavering commitment to the highest standards of quality compliance
- Experience playing key roles in technology transfers for new processes and process monitoring/troubleshooting for existing processes
- Strong collaborative interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate others and resolve conflict situations while prioritizing work in a dynamic environment
All our birds embrace the principles of the bluebird bio culture: b colorful, b cooperative, b yourself.
bluebird bio is deeply committed to fostering an environment where diversity and inclusion are not only valued, but prioritized. We believe a diverse and inclusive community empowers us to act courageously, care deeply, and dream boldly to impact people in big ways. Diverse viewpoints bring diverse capabilities which strengthen our focus and fuel our growth.
bluebird is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.