At Bluebeam, we empower people to advance the way the world is built. We create smart software solutions that make construction sites more efficient, connected and safe and improve the lives of design and construction professionals everywhere.
Research with our customers and users is at the heart of Bluebeam’s Product Design process. It can, however, only be truly effective when socialized and implemented through a strong Design process.
We are seeking an enterprising Product Design Researcher to lead the charge on using customer/user research to add value at every stage of our discovery, product design and development processes. While all of our Designers already conduct research activities as part of their day to day tasks, we are looking for someone who can bring those activities under a single research practice.
As a Senior member of the Product Design & Research team, and our first dedicated Researcher, we are looking for an individual who will help to guide and mentor designers and their product teams in uncovering meaningful human-centered insights that will drive great design and innovation impacting the future direction as well as current design of our products.
Our product teams are looking to rely more and more qualitative as well as quantitative data points to understand our customers, and to inform product decisions. You will help to formalize, and in many cases, rethink, the processes and methods we have in place currently, while, in other cases, establish methods and processes that we don’t currently have in place, but should.
This role will offer the opportunity to mold and grow an ideal research practice to meet the needs of the business in an organization that already understands and appreciates its value.
What you’ll be doing:
Perform a variety of qualitative and quantitative research and related= related tasks including, but not limited to:
- Conduct field and lab studies, focus groups and moderate sessions (in person and remote)
- Perform usability benchmarking and heuristic evaluations
- Facilitate Diary studies
- Conduct desirability studies, user and usability tests of UIs and concepts
- Implement A/B Testing
- Run unmoderated UX studies
- Create surveys and scripts
- Coordinate customer and user research programmes across teams
- Liaise with our Account Management team to facilitate finding the best candidates for research studies as well as coordinate and streamline the process we have in place to manage finding customers to join our Customer Development Program.
- Support our Beta programs ensuring they are well structured and focused from a research perspective
- Create and communicate reports, analyses, and presentations of findings and actionable information for a variety of audiences that include executives, product managers, and development teams. Create or help to create supporting wireframes, designs etc. in collaboration with members of the product design team.
- Organize and contribute to a repository of research data (using the latest tools and technologies) for sharing and coordinating findings so that they can be easily communicated across Product Teams and to the wider company in supporting a user-centered design process.
- Lead / help to lead research for various streams of product initiatives creating and implementing research plans/schedules, as well as advising/determining which methods to perform.
- Directly contribute to ongoing research process improvements, including establishing best practices and setting standards for the approach and rigor we apply to our research methods.
- Tell the story of the customer, their jobs-to-be-done and create internal consensus around user outcomes. This includes funneling your findings into shaping a set of living Personas.
- Act as a champion for good user experience, sharing best practices and demonstrating curiosity about customer needs and behaviors.
What we’d like to see in you:
- 5 or more years of experience researching (and maybe even designing) delightful user experiences for a range of responsive desktop and native mobile apps. Your portfolio shows diverse research processes, deliverables and outcomes.
- You care deeply about users and customers and their experiences with products end to end.
- Curious, analytical and a proven ability to uncover actionable insights and evangelize findings at various levels of the organization.
- Experience conducting live and remote semi-structured interviews and usability studies
- Experience with data visualization and ability to tell a meaningful story from the data
- Demonstrated ability to plan and conduct a variety of research in close collaboration with people in a variety of roles, including design, engineering, and product management.
- Experience building a design research practice
- Extensive experience designing, leading and executing research in an Agile/Lean environment.
- Deep understanding of research methods, with a breadth of experience in both qualitative and quantitative research.
- Ability to analyze data from research and clearly, concisely, and persuasively communicate your findings, verbally and in writing.
- An appreciation of user psychology and an understanding of how language and design resonate with users.
- Deep understanding of usability, accessibility and best practice design principles across various platforms.
- Experience researching complex user workflows that involve multiple personas, groups of users or customers.
- A desire to take risks in terms of testing new research methodologies and iterating on those approaches.
- A proven track record of being a self-starter with an entrepreneurial flair for problem-solving across changing time, resource and data constraints.
- Highly-organized, a strong and precise presenter of information, and find speaking with many people throughout the course of the day enjoyable.
- Understanding of different application platforms and development tools is preferred
- Strong attention to detail coupled with outstanding interpersonal skills in interviewing and interacting with a wide variety of users and customers as well as internal team members.
What we’d LOVE to see in you (not required):
- BA/BS in HCI, Design, Cognitive Science, Information Science, or in a related field Experience working on a SaaS product
- Experience working in Lean UX/Agile
- Experience creating prototypes of different levels of fidelity using tools like Sketch, Adobe Suite, Axure, Invision, Marvel etc.
What we offer:
- A chance to make a meaningful impact in a dynamic, growing industry ripe for innovation.
- A fun, collaborative work environment with an opportunity to help shape Bluebeam’s approach to Product Design.
- Plenty of opportunity to try, learn, and try again. We work in a user-centric and iterative fashion. You will have ample opportunity to make a direct impact on our products and customer experiences.
If you think you are a good match for the Bluebeam team, please send the following:
- Cover letter (Cover letter should address why you’re interested in Bluebeam and, specifically, the Sr. Product Designer - Research role as described.)
- A link to your portfolio or examples of your work.
The construction industry is adopting new technology at a feverish pace. Tablets and cell phones are replacing paper blueprints, drones are surveying jobsites in 3D, and cloud collaboration is changing the way teams work together. Bluebeam plays a crucial role in this transformation. The key to our success is a customer-focused approach to product development: we work with the industry to create solutions for the industry. Today, over 1.6 million people throughout the world use Bluebeam. In the US, we’re a critical partner for the majority of top AEC firms, and rapidly expanding our presence globally, with offices in Sweden, Germany and the UK.
Come design and build your future with us.
Bluebeam is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.