THIS IS BLUE APRON
At Blue Apron, our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone—from the novice cook just getting started to the experienced chef. Each week we send hundreds of thousands of customers all the pre-measured and perfectly proportioned ingredients they need to prepare delicious and healthy meals at home. We introduce our members to new ingredients, flavors, and cooking techniques with seasonally-inspired recipes that are always delicious, fun and easy to prepare. We make fresher, healthier food available at better prices by rethinking the grocery supply chain from the table all the way back to the farm.
WHO’S IN THE KITCHEN
The Blue Apron Category Management Team diligently and passionately identifies, evaluates, and sources the highest quality ingredients and packaging materials included in our recipes, in order to provide our customers with an amazing cooking experience, and ultimately, a delicious meal. The ongoing development of strong partnerships with our teammates and suppliers is our core recipe for success, as we constantly seek out new, innovative solutions that will allow us to offer our customers more value in every Blue Apron meal kit they receive.
WHAT’S ON THE MENU
The Category Manager - Seafood will manage Blue Apron’s “pantry” of Seafood ingredients, with the goal of providing our Culinary team with the highest quality ingredients to choose from, when creating the amazing recipes that are offered to our customers. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Category Management – Meat and Seafood, and may be located in one of Blue Apron’s three Fulfillment Centers (Arlington, TX / Linden, NJ / Richmond, CA) or in our company headquarters in New York, NY.
This position’s primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as a central point of coordination between multiple teams (Marketing, Operations, Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Meal Experience, and Culinary), in an effort to identify unique, high-quality ingredients that offer Blue Apron’s customers the best overall value and experience
- Focus on developing a portfolio of clean (free-from) sustainably sourced, third party rated ingredients, focusing on maintaining our commitment to non-GMO, HFCS-free, MSG-free ingredients
- Partner with Food Safety & Quality Assurance team to ensure all Seafood suppliers are operating in compliance with all applicable regulations and Blue Apron policies
- Ensure complete and actionable specifications exist for all Seafood ingredients and are consistently enforced and reinforced with effective supplier communication
- Development and execution of competitive sourcing strategies, with the goal of driving incremental value (defined as a function of quality, service, and financial terms) for Blue Apron
- Negotiate key business terms included in all of Blue Apron’s national supply agreements for Seafood ingredients
- Accountable for the overall performance of Blue Apron’s portfolio of Seafood suppliers including service (timeliness and completeness of deliveries), quality, cost, and sustainability
- Work closely with Ingredient Optimization and Fulfillment Center Operations Teams to manage inventory levels, in an effort to eliminate waste and effectively optimize cash flow
- Perform ongoing SKU rationalization management, to ensure Blue Apron operates with maximum efficiency, while also effectively fulfilling our customers’ demand for variety
- Complete special projects on an ad-hoc basis
NECESSARY INGREDIENTS: The successful candidate must:
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Finance, or business-related discipline
- Minimum of 3-5 years of Category Management / Procurement / Strategic Sourcing Experience
- Deep knowledge of the food service industry
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple functions and projects simultaneously
- High level of business / financial acumen
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively influence all levels of the organization
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.