THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, and for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of foodies is inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity and passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, and put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers’ lives, cooking and creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHO'S IN THE KITCHEN
This senior executive role reports directly to Linda Kozlowski, CEO of Blue Apron. Prior to Blue Apron, Linda was COO of Etsy during its rapid growth and turnaround. Linda reports into the Board of Directors. The Board, which includes one of the founders and current Chairman of the Board of Blue Apron, Matt Salzberg, is comprised of highly accomplished executives with expertise in a variety of functional areas.
The Chief Revenue Officer will complete the Executive Leadership team including Alan Blake, Chief Operating Officer; Tim Bensley, Chief Financial Officer; Irina Krechmer, Chief Technology Officer; Julie Betancur, Chief HR Officer; and Meredith Deutsch, General Counsel.
The functions reporting into the CRO are Physical Product including culinary, Digital Product, Marketing including all partnerships, Brand, and Consumer Insights.
WHAT’S ON THE MENU
The Chief Revenue Officer of Blue Apron will be responsible for all product lines through product development, branding and marketing.
Strategic Planning: The incoming CRO will partner with other members of the ELT to execute the current corporate strategic plan. This plan focuses on expansion to new customer segments in the direct-to-consumer business, expansion into new partnerships, expanding the core product and strengthening operations. He/she will also be instrumental in creating future strategic plans.
Product Development: Core product expansion is one way that Blue Apron will continue to expand into new channels. The CRO will work collaboratively with the Finance and Operations teams in creation of innovative products both from a physical side (What’s in the box) and a digital side (Website and app). The CRO must work diligently with the culinary, technology, and operations teams to ensure products are the highest quality, feasible from a production standpoint and with the goal of increasing revenue profitably.
Marketing and Partnerships: In this creative and digitally driven organization, it is critical that marketing is as innovative as the products. Through analytics, the CRO will be charged with identifying the current key customers and designing marketing strategies to increase the customer base and revenue. Additionally, the CRO is responsible for building and growing the partnership strategies, leveraging the strength of the core product.
Branding: Blue Apron is the industry leaders in brand awareness in its category. The CRO will help develop and grow a complete partnership strategy encompassing Strategic Partners, Brand Partners, Distribution Channels, Acquisition Channels, Affiliates and Influencers. The CRO will help maximize reach and efficiency by adding new, scalable partners to the ecosystem in a programmatic way.
Team Building: The CRO is responsible for building and cultivating creative teams committed to continuing the culture of innovation. This includes both nurturing the talent we have, growing the team in a targeted, effective way, and driving accountability across all parts of their organization.
The Chief Revenue Officer will be a strategic business executive with in-depth experience leading a digitally focused and innovative consumer company. He/She will have a proven track record of growing revenue through new product development, marketing, branding and partnership. Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment, the candidate should possess:
- Significant general management and P&L experience.
- Strategically view the marketplace, analyze opportunities and successfully manage the growth of a profitable direct-to-consumer business.
- Ability to craft and execute a business strategy that will allow for future channel expansion
- Track record of managing multiple projects with a demonstrated ability to prioritize efforts based on ROI to the business.
- Ability to drive new product innovation and develop a roadmap to introduce products to market in a highly digital and data rich organization.
- Proven experience developing and executing marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated financial acumen and a history of decision making based upon business metrics.
- Background that includes hands-on accomplishments in delivering market share, sales growth and profitability in a progressive company.
- Inspirational leadership - understands the importance of being hands on.
- Capable of shaping a clear and strategic vision and effectively communicating that vision throughout all levels of the organization.
- Excellent leadership and team building/management skills; ability to provide clear and concise direction/feedback to external and internal stakeholders.
The successful candidate must possess outstanding leadership, interpersonal and communications skills. The candidate must be a high-energy, hands-on individual with strength of conviction - a self-confident leader who, in part due to his/her personal presence, style and demeanor, effectively sells ideas and solutions to others.
- Analytical, with a strong detail orientation – someone who can examine relevant industry information and translate that information into effective strategies and programs.
- Accomplished and confident professional with the executive presence and industry stature to effectively represent Blue Apron internally, externally and bring enhanced credibility to the organization.
- Strong service orientation, a disciplined work ethic, and ability to instill a high standard of excellence across the organization.
- A balanced individual capable of forging productive working relationships with a broad range of personality types and styles.
- Comfortable with the challenge to reach agreement among occasionally conflicting interests to enhance the common good of the organization.
- Ability to manage company culture/spirit and people and lead the change.
- Ability to anticipate change and proactively pivot in order to take advantage of industry trends.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.