THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, and for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of food enthusiasts are inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity and passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, and put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers’ lives, cooking and creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHO'S IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Apron’s engineering team creates software that manages the forecasting, purchasing, preparation, and shipment of new fresh ingredients every week, delivering over 8 million meals nationwide each month. We’re faced with complex supply chain and logistical challenges that require purpose-built solutions and data analysis.
As a Senior Engineering Manager for Blue Apron in Austin, you are responsible for the ongoing evolution of our software architecture, mentoring talented engineers, leading projects, and growing the team. In addition, as the engineering leader in the Austin office, you are responsible for fostering the engineering community and culture, as well as maintaining strong communication with our New York Office.
WHAT'S ON THE MENU
- Responsible for the evolving the team’s roadmap, technology, and architecture, leading brainstorming and planning sessions.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to the engineering team, providing career guidance and holding regular one-on-one sessions.
- Act as subject matter expert on assigned products and their implementation.
- Partner closely with recruiting to build out the team in Austin.
- Maintain a high bar for code quality through code reviews and helping the team think through edge cases.
- Facilitate sprint planning sessions and team retrospectives.
- Partner with other engineering teams, departments, and stakeholders to align on broader engineering and company initiatives.
- Identify, triage, and address issues or problems to proactively maintain or attain acceptable team performance metrics.
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, React, PostgreSQL
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science is preferred.
- Two or more years of managing an engineering team, preferably in an agile startup environment.
- Experience managing a distributed team, managing remote employees, or being a remote employee.
- Five or more years of experience developing production web applications and using MVC frameworks.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of conveying complex systems and logic to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A thirst for learning and a passion for new technologies, processes and patterns.
- Experience working with large-scale distributed architecture is a plus.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.