Buyer - Grocery
WHO'S IN THE KITCHEN The Blue Apron Procurement Team diligently and passionately identifies, evaluates, and procures the highest quality ingredients and packaging materials included in our recipes in order to provide our customers with an amazing cooking experience, and ultimately, a delicious meal. The ongoing development of strong partnerships with our teammates and suppliers is our core recipe for success, as we constantly seek out new, innovative solutions that will allow us to offer our customers more value in every Blue Apron meal kit they receive.
WHAT'S ON THE MENU The Buyer – Grocery will manage the procurement process for all grocery ingredients included in Blue Apron’s “pantry”, with the goal of providing our customers with the highest quality ingredients, while also supporting Blue Apron’s Linden Operations Team by ensuring continuity of supply for these key ingredients. This position reports to one of the Grocery Category Managers, and is located in our Fulfillment Center in Linden, NJ.
- Purchase and maintain optimal levels of inventory for all grocery items to ensure all customer orders are delivered on-time and in-full.
○ Manage supplier relationships as necessary.
○ Manage purchase of items with varying lead times and shelf lives, including select FOB deliveries.
○ Manage inventory levels and coverage of items with varying shelf lives.
- Minimize inventory overages by utilizing assumed yields, demand planning forecasts and other data.
- Partner with suppliers to resolve issues related to invoicing, product quality, and delivery coordination.
- Coordinate returns and replacements for non-conforming / rejected inbound shipments.
- Negotiate fill-in order pricing and hold suppliers accountable to delivery standard metrics.
- Partner with Fulfillment Operations teams to ensure orders are received in compliance with all specifications, policies and procedures:
○ In coordination with the Food Safety & Quality Assurance Team, ensure all incoming deliveries meet or exceed Blue Apron’s quality specifications.
○ Ensure data included in Blue Apron’s Purchase Order and Costing systems are up-to-date and accurate, through execution of periodic audits.
○ Manage the timely receipt of refunds/credits due from suppliers, for any shipments that did not comply with the specifications included in each shipment’s respective PO.
○ Complete weekly costing for all grocery items in Linden, NJ.
○ Troubleshoot delays or interruptions in supply fulfillment by providing alternative options and solutions to support the needs of the business, while still meeting or exceeding Blue Apron’s high-quality standards and food cost goals.
- Complete special projects on an ad-hoc basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Operations, Finance or business-related discipline OR
- Minimum of 3-5 years of Procurement / Planning / Supply Chain Management experience
- Strong working knowledge of the food service industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with several cross-functional teams, colleagues and suppliers
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple functions and projects simultaneously and high pressure environment
- High level of business and financial acumen, with proven negotiation skills
- Ability to self-motivate and problem solve in a fast-paced setting with hard deadlines
- Proficiency with Slack, Hangouts, Sheets, Docs, Slides, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Willingness and ability to work occasional off-hours, weekends and holidays