Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
Our Government Innovation programs build the capacity of local governments to solve problems effectively. Its initiatives – ranging from large-scale international innovation competitions to domestic efforts that help mayors hone their management skills and better use data in decision-making – equip local leaders with practical tools and approaches they can use to address local challenges. We currently invest in more than 200 municipal governments worldwide through grants, technical assistance, and participation programs.
Our team strives to be collegial and collaborative with an orientation toward learning at the individual, group, and portfolio levels. We are energized to advance our mission, while also working to ensure team members have full and balanced lives and opportunities for growth.
We are seeking an experienced Operations Manager for our Government Innovation team. Reporting to the Program Lead, the Operations Manager will work across the portfolio to coordinate and provide operational excellence across grant and contract budgets, renewals, approvals, impact tracking, and internal reporting about program impact. We seek candidates who are detail oriented, strategic, adaptive, and curious, and have excellent judgement.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advise and support Government Innovation leadership on operational matters that impact the entire portfolio, including program budget, goals, impact reporting, and fiscal and organizational compliance.
- Oversee program budgets and works with Grants Management and Government Innovation staff to execute new contracts and grants, track expenses, and modify budgets
- Develop creative strategies to use budgeting and portfolio fiscal planning to drive further impact across the portfolio
- Strengthen and coordinate portfolio wide efforts to establish program goals and track data on impact
- Proactively support the Government Innovation team’s ability to engage and inform Foundation leadership on progress, challenges, and opportunities across the portfolio and beyond.
- Assist in periodic review of portfolio strategy and goals against existing work streams and emerging opportunities.
Key Experience and Skills Required:
- Minimum 10 years of operations experience in government, consulting, or non-profit organizations
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Outstanding budgeting or fiscal planning background and track record
- Track record of creating data driven reports, memos and presentations; with a sharp eye for detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- High emotional intelligence, common sense, resourcefulness, and discretion
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with confidence to interact with management and senior leaders
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.