Block Renovation, Fintech Senior Product Designer
Block is a renovation platform transforming the $450 billion renovation industry. Block democratizes access to high-end design, while combining design, construction, and materials into a streamlined experience. Block simplifies a complex and convoluted process and gives homeowners certainty on outcomes, quality, price, and time.
Our mission is to give homeowners a better way to improve the spaces they live in, and to give contractors a better way to work. We are building an ambitious, tenacious, and creative team who is unafraid of tackling new challenges. The founders are former leaders at Casper, HuffPost, and Rent the Runway. Investors include Softbank, New Enterprise Associates, Lerer Hippeau, Giant Ventures, Obvious Ventures, MorningSide Ventures and more.
Employees come to Block for the opportunity to work in a rapidly scaling tech start-up that remains steadfastly dedicated to its employees, its culture, and constant iteration and improvement.
Block Fintech is an ambitious, entrepreneurial team building a new product from 0 to 1 to take the financial stress & constraints out of renovations. We’re currently building this team from the ground up and will be launching our product as a new venture for the company later this year.
Payments and financing are the lifeblood of the construction industry. Contractors constantly struggle with how and when they get paid. Sometimes even if they get paid. Homeowners have to write paper checks -- sometimes they are tied to loosely defined milestones, sometimes they’re not. Both parties occasionally find themselves in disputes based on change orders and scope adjustments throughout the course of the project. There is no equivalent of PayPal, Stripe, or Square in general contracting that have made payments fast, automated, and ubiquitous or financial management easy.
We are looking for an experienced Product Designer to join as this new venture’s first product design hire. This role will report directly to the GM of Fintech and partner closely with our engineering and product leads to build our Fintech solution 0 to 1.
This role will require strong entrepreneurialism, agility, tenacity, and patience. You are building a product from ground-up -- with the benefit of working in a Series C funded company with deep knowledge and experience in how homeowners and contractors interact.
You will partner with product, engineering, and the cross-functional team to create elegant solutions that balance systematic design, product goals, and customer delight.
- Collaborate with the GM of Fintech on the concepting, prototyping, and validation of our 0 to 1 products
- Design elegant and intuitive products that delight our users while working with product & engineering colleagues to bring these products to production
- Help drive forward user research from beginning to end including concepting, socializing insights, and incorporating feedback into designs
- Collaborate with product and engineering to shape the roadmap and deliver on our team’s goals
- Champion the user
- Self-start and take ownership over the details from beginning to end
- 3 - 6 years of digital product design experience, along with a portfolio that demonstrates problem solving across web and mobile
- Passion for creating great end-user experiences, and a balance between pragmatic intuition and innovation
- Strong understanding of information architecture, multi-step, and cross-platform flows
- Strong understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy
- Familiarity with user research best practices and methods across different phases of the development process
- Communication skills to articulate the “why” behind design and partner cross-functionally
- Comfort with design tools for sketching, wireframing, interface design tools (Figma), production HTML/CSS for the Web, and native prototyping tools (Framer, Principle)
- Earn equity in an early stage high-growth company
- 100% subsidized health insurance, dental coverage, vision coverage
- 12 weeks universal fully paid family leave
- PTO and company holidays
- 3 weeks a year where you can work anywhere
- 401k retirement savings plan with matching employer contribution
- Employee discount on renovation services
- Budgeted learning and development stipends
- Working alongside an ambitious, kind, no-drama team
- Force simplicity.
- Problems are our fuel.
- Collaborate with tenacity and humility
- Save money where we should.
- Speed is our advantage.