Head of People
Block is a renovation platform transforming the $400 billion renovation industry. Today, doing a home renovation is an abysmal consumer experience and not easy for contractors either. Block democratizes access to high-end design, while combining design, construction, and materials into a streamlined experience. Block simplifies a complex and convoluted process and gives homeowners certainty on outcomes, quality, price, and time.
Our mission is to give homeowners a better way to improve the spaces they live in, and to give contractors a better way to work. We are building an ambitious, tenacious, and creative team who is unafraid of tackling new challenges. The founders are former leaders at Casper, HuffPost, and Rent the Runway. Investors include New Enterprise Associates, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and more.
Role and Responsibilities
You are the steward of our company’s people and talent. You will lead the People function in a growing company, from talent acquisition to onboarding, performance management, career development, and culture and cohesion.
You’ll help bring the best people in the market into the company, and propel their performance and careers for years once they’re inside. Building a best-in-class team will take vision, strategy, and organization to pull off. You have a strong understanding of what makes people and organizations think and are a thought partner to the whole leadership on how to bring out the best in their team, and bring out the best in each other. You are hands-on -- willing to get into the nitty gritty of benefits, while also developing the culture and practices for the whole company.
You are comfortable in navigating sensitive and sometimes challenging conversations, and you become a trusted counsel to others at every level in the company. Not every situation will be straightforward, and you’ll have to be aware of implications downstream and upstream of each decision. You have extraordinary empathy coupled with utmost professionalism. You exemplify our company values.
Key day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Grow the team’s performance and capabilities through organizational development, career development, management training, coaching, engagement, and more
- Lead recruiting, onboarding and training. Build our recruiting brand and interview process and exceptional candidate experience
- Tackle projects and programs at all levels of the HR “stack” - strategic, operational, and tactical.
- Utilize data to solve complex organizational challenges through people-centric solutions
- Drive and develop a best-in-class employee performance management / review process
- Own the long-term strategic roadmap for people systems to support needs across the employee life cycle
- Stay up to date with HR related legal guidelines. Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws. Ensure appropriate controls and documentation are followed to meet security and compliance requirements across all systems
- Sponsor and lead culture, team engagement and DEI efforts
- Highly ambitious and goal-oriented
- Ability to handle complex situations with poise
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience, especially management experience
- Able to build for long term, but also able to find efficient short-term solutions
- Demonstrates Company Values
- Early stage employee equity
- Vacation days and company holidays
- 100% employer subsidized health insurance, dental, vision
- 12 weeks fully paid family leave + optional leave
- Working alongside an ambitious, kind, no-drama team
Problems are our fuel.
Collaborate with tenacity and humility
Save money where we should.
Speed is our advantage.
Location: 45 Main Street #202, Brooklyn, NY 11201