What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead our growing Activation & Engagement team!
About Your Team
The Activation & Engagement Engineering Organization consists of three organizations. The first organization named Activation is responsible for the BlockFi homepage/dashboards and the teams objective is to effectively enable signed up clients to leverage our different products. The Growth team is responsible for the marketing website, off-site marketing efforts, and marketing partner integrations. The Engagement team is responsible for platforms that help facilitate growth efforts such as our notification, communication, and promotion platforms. For each team, the technical stack is TypeScript, React, Elixir (Backend), and Native iOS (Swift)/Android (Kotlin) with services hosted on AWS. We partner closely with the Activations and Engagements Product team and Growth & Marketing organization to effectively communicate our products to potential customers and newly signed up clients, along with building platforms that facilitate engagement with our clients.
We are a collaborative, curious, motivated group who care deeply about our work and teammates. We expect our leaders to be "player coaches", and hence deeply technical with their finger on the pulse of both the strategic and the tactical.
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager, you provide leadership to several teams responsible for the technical implementation of related business capabilities. Your leadership responsibilities include setting team level goals, developing your junior leaders and senior engineers, headcount planning, team culture / morale, and execution of multi-team project initiatives. As a thought leader within technology, you collaborate with cross functional partners across the organization to develop strategic roadmaps. You are able to shift from that strategic mindset to tactical problem-solving when issues arise.
- Organization Leadership
- Responsible for shaping the culture of the engineering organization in partnership with other leaders.
- Influential beyond the technology organization. You have a deep network of cross functional peers who value your opinion / perspective.
- Aware of the state of talent within your teams and tracking those with high potential, promotion pipelines, and those in need of coaching.
- Team Leadership
- Responsible for developing new team leaders that are transitioning from individual contributors to management / leadership.
- Responsible for people management duties across engineering teams including: team staffing, career development of individuals, retention and performance management.
- Responsible for fostering a team culture that values collaboration, accountability, innovation, and results.
- Responsible for ensuring team members follow established processes while fostering a culture that embraces continuous improvement.
- Planning, Execution, and Delivery
- Collaborates with cross functional partners to organize the team’s backlog and planned work.
- Responsible for organizing, leading, and delivering the team’s engineering work.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables and should champion BlockFi standards of work.
- Service Ownership
- Responsible for planning care/maintenance of services owned by the team.
- Accountable for system availability and monitoring system health; ensure alerts, metrics, and runbooks are in place; and debug issues in production.
- Subject matter expertise around owned services. Detailed knowledge of the what/how business capabilities are provided.
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas: 8+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building distributed systems at scale.
- Team Leadership: 3+ years of leading a team of 6 or more engineers through daily work routines, performance management, and hiring/retaining talent.
- Manager of Managers: 1+ years of experience managing people in leadership roles.
- Technical Ownership: Experience owning software systems end-to-end, designing, estimating, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Collaboration: Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs, solutions, and code.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand