What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for a Cryptographic Engineer to join our growing team!
About Your Team
At BlockFi, our Security Team works across the entire spectrum of technologies and products that power our business, protecting over ~$10B in value.
This is a unique role that reports into the entire Security Team and will be focused on solving complex, in-house problems, often where off the shelf solutions do not exist. The Security Team is largely remote, working across timezones and prides itself on being solutions-focused. While facing incredibly complex threats in an ever-change security landscape, BlockFi has continued to thrive and needs the right tools built by passionate and energetic people.
As an Engineer on the Security Team, this role will directly impact work streams across our core functions: security operations and incident response, threat intelligence, red team, and fraud and risk. As a security team we need to continuously refine our security posture, by improving what exists or building what doesn’t. The Special Projects team serves as the primary technical execution arm for the Chief Security Officer for the firm’s most sensitive projects. You will play a key role in those projects by navigating complex technical problems, and you will provide insight, technical direction, and technical execution to teammates and stakeholders. You will work closely with our core product engineering team, as well as legal & compliance on various security-related initiatives.
- Design, architect and build back-end and underlying cryptographic protocols to secure digital assets
- Implement quality and performance modules
- Develop and test proprietary software with a Security focus
- Focus on security, high availability, performance, and compliance
- Possess knowledge of cryptography concepts relevant to crypto assets as well as those leveraged to custody crypto assets
- Possess knowledge of programming languages used for blockchain development and experience in cryptography
- Knowledge of cryptography and blockchain protocols
- Knowledge of best practices and blockchain data management and protection
- B.S. degree in CS or related area, MS preferred
- Applied development experience in custody, crypto assets, and/or blockchain
- Experience working across production environments at any scale
- Applied cryptography experience
- Experience with Openssl/TLS API; threading and socket programming in Linux, HSMs, and PKCS #11
- Strong knowledge of object oriented programming
- Experience in back-end development, algorithms, and data structures
- Experience with multi-party computation (MPC) & HSMs
- Solid understanding of Linux OS with strong knowledge of object oriented programming; specifically high-level languages such as python, Go, and node.js, C, C++, Rust and Bash
Bonus Points for:
- Applied experience in developing production grade MPC libraries
- Applied experience in developing custody solutions for digital assets
- PhD with research topic focused on MPC or other related area
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- Weekly lunch stipend because there is such a thing as a free lunch!
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand