What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for a VP of Data Engineering to join our growing team!
About Your Team
We’re building a globally distributed team of data architects, data engineers, and database administrators to empower strategic objectives of our Product & Business teams. You will partner with the Business Intelligence & Analytics team to transform our current capabilities into one that is more robust and adheres to industry best practices & architectural standards.
- Build and lead BlockFi’s Data Engineering organization from the ground up, fostering a data-driven culture and overseeing career development and performance management for a team of engineers and architects
- Oversee technical strategy and architecture across data integration, data lake, data warehousing and data access layers
- Partner with business, security, fraud, analytics, and product teams to understand their specific requirements for data, metrics, and analytic outputs.
- Build efficient & scalable data pipelines to enable data-driven decisions across business lines
- Architect & take ownership of our disparate data environments, bringing them into one, comprehensive BlockFi-wide data management strategy which clearly defines how data will be stored, modeled, computed, consumed, integrated, and managed across different functional areas, entities, systems, and various data domains from streaming to batch processing
- Deliver sustainable, scalable designs, managing the data framework (e.g. blueprints) which includes conceptualizing, designing, deploying, and managing BlockFi’s data foundation enabling the strategic use of data
- Oversee Data Engineering team to build and maintain the data foundation, data pipelines, data stores, data models, streaming services, data integration services, and quality controls
- Operationalize data insights using comprehensive reporting dashboards to democratizing data access out of silos and enabling self-service
- Drive the implementation of data governance and data security related processes
- Establish and evangelize best practices, frameworks and processes for source code management, metadata cataloging, ETL logic, testing automation, quality controls, and task monitoring across data engineering
- 15+ years of experience within data engineering, data architecture, and modern data warehouse concepts with 7+ years of experience managing/leading teams
- Experience building and scaling a data organization, processes and technology from scratch within a rapidly scaling startup environment
- Proven track record of synthesizing & deriving a clear and prioritized roadmap based on a large number of business needs and requirements
- Expertise within cloud data architecture and databases; we use AWS Redshift and Postgres as well as a number of other tools across our data ecosystem include S3, Databricks, and Confluent (Apache Kafka)
- Ability to translate business stakeholders’ requests into technical solutions that will grow with the business’s needs.
- Experience achieving compliance with industry-standard data governance controls and processes, ideally within the context of Amazon’s Web Services (AWS)
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- Weekly lunch stipend because there is such a thing as a free lunch!
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand