This job is based in our downtown Manhattan office.
We’re looking for a driven Corporate Counsel to develop our internal legal strategy, manage lending transaction documentation and oversee general corporate legal matters. The ideal candidate is someone with expertise around financial services/lending/derivatives space and is excited about being the first legal hire at a fast-growing crypto-focused startup.
If you’d be interested in helping grow the BlockFi business by negotiating deals with counterparties and helping us navigate the legal landscape, we want to hear from you. This position will report directly to our CEO and will play a critical role in working with the Crypto Prime and the Compliance teams.
The ideal candidate:
- A self starter with relevant experience and an interest in the cryptocurrency market
- Someone who is hungry to learn, and determined to succeed
- Interested in navigating an emerging regulatory environment
- Excellent communicator (written and verbal skills)
- Collaborative but with strong opinions of your own
- Negotiate lending and swap arrangements with institutional counterparties
- Review, negotiate, and approve vendor contracts
- Manage relationships with external legal firms
- Assist with employment-related and other general corporate legal issues
- Work with the Chief Compliance Officer on regulatory strategy
- At least 3 years of broad based professional U.S. legal experience, with strong experience drafting and reviewing sophisticated securitization and structured finance documentation, including loan agreements, repos, CLOs, ISDA master agreements and CSAs.
- Experience dealing with state or federal regulators a plus
- Experience working cross-functionally and collaboratively
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. From raising over $75MM in debt and equity capital to helping thousands of clients (and growing!) do more with their crypto assets, we have established a dominant position as the debt and credit crypto market leader in the US. As we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, our addressable market will grow exponentially.
BlockFi’s leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited vacation / sick days
- Employer paid health coverage (vision, dental, 401K)
- Work alongside an enthusiastic, collegial, and driven team in a highly meritocratic environment
- Weekly lunch, office snacks and coffee