We are a new EdTech startup backed by the British Council and Blenheim Chalcot, the UK's leading digital venture builder. Our core offering is a free mobile English test that helps millions of people to unlock the potential that the English language gives them. (Today 1 in 4 people around the world are using or learning English. That’s nearly two billion people!)
We are a small and dynamic team excited to positively impact the lives of millions of people by making quality English language assessment available and affordable at scale. To date, over 2.5 million people have downloaded EnglishScore, and EnglishScore certificate holders reside in 150+ different countries.
Come join us on the journey!
ABOUT THE ENGLISHSCORE ASSESSMENT
The EnglishScore test is designed to provide certification of language proficiency for adult learners of English, with an emphasis on English for the workplace. It assesses learners’ language knowledge at A2, B1, B2, and C1 levels of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
The test currently assesses Vocabulary, Grammar, Reading, and Listening through a variety of templates. A speaking test is coming soon.
The test is most commonly taken on a mobile device, and takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Adaptivity is used to adjust question difficulty, and items are served at random to ensure users cannot anticipate questions. (Hence the importance of a robust item bank.)
Our assessment road map includes:
- Support for A1 assessment
- Greater assessment adaptivity
- A spoken assessment
- A writing assessment
In time, we may also evolve to offer:
- Content/industry-specific assessments
- Preparation and practice exercises
We work closely with the world-renowned Centre For Research In English Language Learning And Assessment (CRELLA) at the University of Bedfordshire when developing our assessment.
We are looking for a full-time English language assessment manager to join our team. Your responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Content development and production: You will be responsible for optimising, improving, and overseeing the end-to-end content production process. This includes writing, editing, reviewing, and developing our assessment content, following established test specifications and guidelines. You will work closely with a group of item writers and our academic partners to help grow our item bank, ensuring that EnglishScore users are faced with new content each time they sit the test.
- Developing new assessments: We are launching a spoken assessment shortly, with a written assessment to follow soon. Your strong prior experiences as an examiner will help to inform our product development process. This could include, for example, providing input as to the format of the feedback and report that users receive after they complete a spoken assessment.
- Assuring assessment quality: This includes maintaining a laser focus on key performance metrics of the EnglishScore assessment, and working together with academic partners to develop correlation studies, convene panels, and otherwise help further EnglishScore's position as a respected and credible English language assessment.
- External relationships: You will help represent our assessment in the marketplace, for example by joining relevant webinars, supporting our corporate and education partnerships, and staying up to date with the latest relevant academic research and developments in the English language assessment space.
WHO YOU ARE
Our ideal applicant has worked extensively with English language learners, in an assessment and/or teaching capacity, and holds a qualification such as TEFL, TESOL, TESL, CELTA, or DELTA. You have an exceptional command of the English language, close attention-to-detail, and superb writing and editing skills. Ideally, you will have previously held administrative or management positions requiring coordination, communication, and teamwork.
The following experiences and qualifications are also of strong interest to us, but not required:
- An advanced degree in applied linguistics, language assessment, or similar.
- Demonstrated interest in edtech.
- Prior experience working at a tech startup.
Note you must be based in the UK and open to spending part of the week in our London office (in White City).
This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in joining an early stage tech startup looking to make a big impact in the English assessment industry.