Koodoo is a financial technology business that is shaking up the world of mortgages. The mortgage market is undergoing a major shift, with much more emphasis being placed on consumer choice, transparency and the potential role for new technology. Backed by the UK’s leading digital venture builder (Blenheim Chalcot), Koodoo is building the technology to help connect customers seamlessly and intelligently with their next mortgage. We are working with some of the biggest names in the industry to deliver a better mortgage application and renewal experience to millions of borrowers in the UK.
About Blenheim Chalcot
Blenheim Chalcot has an unrivalled track record for building successful and disruptive digital ventures. Providing much more than just funds, businesses in the Blenheim Chalcot portfolio benefit from over 20 years of experience, knowledge, ideas and infrastructure. With offices in London, Nottingham, New York and Mumbai, over 3000 employees, sales of over £300m, and a track record of building over 40 companies, the Blenheim Chalcot model aims to create an “unfair advantage” for its companies as they grow from ideas into multi-million pound, market-leading businesses. Companies in the portfolio, past and present, include Agilisys, TDX, ClearScore, Oakbrook Finance, Liberis and Salary Finance.
We have developed a cloud-based, API-driven platform that connects mortgage customers with the best financial products for their needs. We push ourselves to use the best tools for the job whether that means using the latest technologies, and leveraging the best of the open source ecosystem or using well and trusted development patterns. We are managing a distributed system architecture, using NodeJS, Go, Terraform, MongoDB, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, ReactJS and much more.
Our Technology Philosophy
At Koodoo, we believe that if something is worth building, it is worth building right. We choose the latest tools and technologies that help us deliver amazing software and stay ahead of our competitors. We operate as a truly agile business; we don’t think it’s just something that the dev team does. We believe in the SOLID principles, design patterns and clean code; we believe in creating systems that are built for integration; we believe that all software should be built test-first, with automated QA at the heart of the engineering team; we believe that DevOps is a full team responsibility - a mindset, not a job title; we believe that software should be built for true continuous delivery (release early, release often). Furthermore, we believe that great software development teams should have a culture of mutual support, continuous learning, ownership… and fun!
- Hands on engineering of our cloud based infrastructure (GCP), both maintaining existing and developing the fundamental blocks for future applications
- Implementing and providing best practice recommendations on operating a highly available, performant and secure “cloud-first” system
- Ensuring we have excellent observibility of how our system is performing and the necessary alerting in place to tell us when it isn’t
- Improving our development workflow and tooling to make the experience as dependable and frictionless as possible
- Providing out-of-hours support for incident response
- Dealing with broad range of technologies: Google Cloud, Kubernetes, MongoDB, Terraform, NGINX, Grafana, and CircleCI
- Building and managing our networking architecture (load balancers, WAF, name registration)
- Constructing and managing CI/CD pipelines and general automation
What We Want From You:
- Some exposure to platform engineering, “DevOps” or reliability engineering responsibilities and related technologies
- Production experience with at least one of the major cloud platforms and competence with terraform
- Good awareness of distributed system design concepts, information security risks and principles
- We encourage a high degree of personal ownership, and all members of the team have the opportunity to contribute to the architectural design and the decision-making process
- Enthusiasm for your area of technical expertise and applying your knowledge under a challenging workload
- Recognition of the reasons behind a strong DevOps ethos and related concepts
- Proficiency with at least one coding or scripting language
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Passion for keeping up-to-date with and adopting new technologies
- Experience operating a cloud environment via Infrastructure-as-Code principles (ideally GCP)
If you recognise yourself in the above description, and the idea of working in a fast-paced, supportive and fun environment - where designing and building code, infrastructure and systems to a high standard is both expected and encouraged - then Koodoo is the place for you. You will find yourself working with some of the smartest, and we like to think nicest, software professionals that you could ever hope to work with!
- Pension scheme (3% employer; 5% employee)
- Flexible benefits package worth up to £800 a year (pro-rated in first year)
- 25 days holiday (with the option to buy more)
- Life Assurance
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working / Sunshine Time
- Dev staff issued with MacBook Pro
- Investment in training and conferences
- 10% time to develop new ideas and experiment with new technologies
- Regular hackathons and events to promote team working and on-going learning
- Wellbeing and other Koomittees (see what we did there!) organising a range of activities