Koodoo is a new financial technology business that is shaking up the world of mortgages. The mortgage market is undergoing a major shift, with much more emphasis being placed on consumer choice, transparency and the role for new technology. Backed by the UK’s leading digital venture builder (Blenheim Chalcot), Koodoo is building the technology to help connect customers seamlessly and intelligently with their next mortgage. We are working with some of the biggest names in financial services - comparison sites, marketplace providers, lenders - to deliver a better mortgage application and renewal experience to millions of borrowers in the UK.
The team is spread out throughout London and Nottingham but we’re happy to accommodate remote working arrangements as we, in fact, currently operate a fully working from home model for everyone in the company.
About Blenheim Chalcot
Blenheim Chalcot has an unrivalled track record for building successful and disruptive digital ventures. Providing much more than just funds, businesses in the Blenheim Chalcot portfolio benefit from over 20 years of experience, knowledge, ideas and infrastructure. With offices in London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, New York and Mumbai, over 3000 employees, sales of over £300m, and a track record of building over 40 companies, the Blenheim Chalcot model aims to create an “unfair advantage” for its companies as they grow from ideas into multi-million pound, market-leading businesses. Companies in the portfolio, past and present, include Agilisys, TDX, ClearScore, Oakbrook Finance, Liberis and Salary Finance.
We have developed a cloud-based, API-driven platform that connects mortgage customers with the best financial products for their needs. We push ourselves to use the best tools for the job whether that means using the latest technologies, and leveraging the best of the open source ecosystem or using well and trusted development patterns.
We are managing a distributed system, using NodeJS, Python, Go, MongoDB, and Snowflake hosted on Google Cloud Platform, with Kubernetes, and Docker at the heart of our operational workloads and build automation provided by CircleCI. We also use ReactJS amongst a host of other commonly used modern languages and frameworks in order to design high quality, modern, performant and mobile friendly web applications.
What we’re looking for
- You will have experience writing server side code using NodeJS (or a common language such as C#, Ruby, Python or Java)
- You will have a minimum of 2+ years experience writing software for live production systems
- You’ll be comfortable writing high quality code in a at least one of these commonly used languages such as NodeJS, Python, Go, Java, C# and C/C++
- You will be familiar and comfortable writing in multiple programming paradigms e.g. Functional or OOP
- You will be familiar with both server side programming e.g. RESTful API design using frameworks likes ExpressJS and client side programming of web applications using frameworks such as ReactJS
- You’ll be familiar with modern scrum practices
- You should be comfortable with data persistence technologies such as MongoDB, and data caching solutions such as redis
- You’ll be a keen team player, readily available to mentor junior members of the team, well organised and diligent with planning and happy to drive and lead demos and team meetings when called upon
- You’ll be comfortable using source control and git for change management
- A strong STEM background is beneficial but not required
- FinTech experience is a bonus
- Extra-curriculars such as blogging, content production, and open source contributions are highly encouraged and welcome
More about the role
- You’ll be responsible for writing, maintaining and building a distributed code base composed of Node.js, Python and Go applications
- You’ll be expected to take part in the architectural design of the software, execute code reviews, and take part in the planning and the delivery of our projects
- You will join a team that takes a measured approach to solution design with domain driven design principles at the core of our process
- Testing will be a core part of your development workflow.
- You'll ideally be familiar with working with services in Docker containers, and any experience with Kubernetes will be highly beneficial as we heavily leverage GKE to orchestrate our workloads
- As we consider DevOps to be a full team responsibility, you’ll be expected to coordinate closely with our platform team to maintain Continuous Delivery practices and toolchains (CircleCI), and to help guide our choices in cloud servicing such as GCP or AWS.
Pension scheme (3% employer; 5% employee)
Flexible benefits package
25 days holiday (with the option to buy more)
Dev staff issued with MacBook Pro and external monitor
Investment in training and conferences
10% time to develop new ideas and experiment with new technologies
Regular hackathons and events to promote team working and on going learning
If you recognise yourself in the above description, and the idea of working in a fast-paced, supportive and fun environment - where building code to a high standard is both expected and encouraged - then Koodoo is the place for you. You will find yourself working with some of the smartest, and we like to think nicest, software professionals that you could ever hope to work with!