Contracts Manager - (Legal)
The British Asian Trust was founded in 2007 by HRH The Prince of Wales, together with a group of visionary British Asian business leaders in response to widespread poverty and inequality in South Asia. The British Asian Trust uses innovative solutions such as impact investment and social enterprise to tackle issues in the areas of education, livelihoods, anti-trafficking, conservation and mental health. Working in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, since its inception the British Asian Trust has helped transform the lives of more than four million people.
The organisation’s annual turnover has grown significantly in recent years thanks to the strength of the relationships built with leading members of the British Asian diaspora. It is also the sector leader in the use of social finance to help solve challenges in the field of international development. 2021 is a very exciting time to be joining the organisation. The leadership team has an ambitious but realistic growth strategy in place, across both programmes and fundraising.
We are looking for a highly qualified Contracts Manager with a good understanding of legal in the ongoing development of legal mechanisms and contractual arrangements for our Skills Impact India Bond and a wider portfolio of social finance programmes such as the Quality Education India DIB and others. You will be BAT’s in-house legal advisor and will be the point of contact for all legal matters.
As social finance is a relatively new method of philanthropic funding, we are aware that it's unlikely that you are a specialist in this particular area but a high-level understanding of complex funding arrangements across different judications is required. You will be equally at home providing strategic advice to senior management and rolling your sleeves up and drafting documents. The role will be part time (3 days a week) but has the potential to increase/decrease over time - hours can be flexible depending on the candidate
You will also be working and managing the work and relationships with our external legal counsel firms related to various projects in both India, Pakistan and the UK on current and upcoming projects.
- Managing the contracting processes for our Social Finance Unit, in particular for the current portfolio including accurately and effectively drafting and negotiating amendments to the current DIB (Quality Education India) agreement and the new NSDC SIIB (Skills Impact India Bond) and other deals as they arise
- Managing relationships with legal counsel within partner organisations, legal firms contracted by BAT and other stakeholders where relevant
- Assisting in the international expansion of our Social finance Unit by supporting the establishment of newly opened offices abroad (India and shortly Pakistan) and new social finance products and programmes
- Willing to undertake a broad variety of work where needed including but not limited to negotiating contracts with various stakeholders, helping safeguard our Intellectual Property, and assistance with other documentation
- Supporting with a range operational requirement including risk management, overseeing safeguarding, due diligence and financial management as required
- Drafting, reviewing and amending of different types of contracts e.g. fundraising, vendor, employment.
- Reviewing and amending standard terms and conditions and agreements ensuring they are updated to meet all relevant legislation.
- Accurately review supplier agreements and negotiate amendments, where required.
- Supporting every team across the organisation and providing effective, reliable and jargon-free advice on legal issues.
• All Service providers, partners and vendors
• Social Finance donors and grantees
• Regulatory and statutory bodies
• External advisors and counsel firms in UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh and India
• Director of Finance and Resources
• Executive Director, Social Finance
• India Director
• Social Finance Manager
• Social Finance Analyst and other team members
• Head of Programmes
Person Profile - Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Deep understanding of commercial contracts and experience of advising on data protection, IP and liability issues.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Able to embrace change and a dynamic, fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent personable skills on telephone, in writing and in person.
- Experience of establishing priorities and maximising effective use of resources and organising own work effectively.
- Able to support and guide colleagues on complex legal matters related to social finance mechanisms as well as guidance on a range of more standard legal tasks.
- Energetic, positive self-starter willing to take responsibility.
- Able to distil complex legal concepts into layman's terms.
- Collaborative team player with a willingness to get involved where needed.
- An understanding and interest in South Asia the issues and the motivations and outlook of the South Asian Diaspora in the UK.
We believe passionately in building a diverse and inclusive environment where people are valued and celebrated because of their differences. We are committed to creating a place where our values are truly represented, and people can perform at their very best - a place where everyone feels they have an equal opportunity to belong and bring their full, authentic selves to work. We're determined to maximise the diversity of our workforce and actively encourage application from anyone and everyone.