Job Title: Head of Business Development
Reports to: Commercial Director
Location: Remote 1st / Scale Space White City, London
This is an exciting opportunity for a sales driven Head of Business Development who thrives in a fast paced environment and loves management. Contentive is an exciting period of rapid growth and your expertise will play a crucial role in our success.
- Exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual new business targets across the Contentive portfolio
- Day to day management of a dedicated business development team
- Maintain a clear team structure so that all members understand the purpose of their role, how it fits within the whole and what outcomes they are accountable for
- Maintain clear standards for team, particularly around the quality, quantity and direction of outbound sales activity
- Support the commercial director on weekly team meetings to enable open, honest communication about progress against goals
- Enable high performance by identifying and removing any barriers to effective sales activity
- Address underperformance promptly and supportively, escalating issues as necessary
- Keep the team motivated and engaged and ensure that each role provides ample scope for training and development to enhance their career development.Flag any specific training needs so that they can be addressed
- Work with the wider management team to manage career development and succession planning through managed moves across the group
- Achieve and exceed monthly; quarterly and annual sales targets
- Work autonomously to monitor and understand the buyer and vendor marketplace within your allocated patch to best spot opportunities
- Plan and execute customer coverage to maximise sales revenue, including face-to-face meetings, sales trips, and attendance at relevant industry events (when restrictions allow)
- Whilst you will follow the direction of the sales plan to meet customer coverage objectives, you are also expected to identify new targets within your market
- Build relationships and engage in in-depth, consultative conversations with potential clients to understand their medium-term marketing objectives and plan effective digital and virtual event campaigns to fit their needs
- Creatively plan & effectively present marketing campaigns to both clients and their agencies
- Effectively manage personal pipeline to maximise both yield and revenue
- Achieve (as a minimum) productivity targets
- Optimise handover to customer-success and account management team, to facilitate long-term working partnerships between our brands and our customer-base.
- Maintain all internal process and systems to a high standard (eg Salesforce and ‘key performance indicator’ systems)
Sales planning & reporting
- Work with the commercial director to build the annual new business sales plan, in consultation with other senior members of the team, and breaking it down into quarters
- Collaborate with the marketing teams to ensure the business development effort is adequately supported by high quality vendor marketing activity
- Champion the bowtie methodology, using it to guide tactics and resource effort
- Produce and distribute a weekly report on sales outputs and forecast v. plan
- Produce and distribute a written monthly report covering new business performance and pipelines
- Working with the Commercial Director, review and update the monthly forecast once a week, and the quarterly forecast once a month, supported with clear rationale for any variances.
- Actively contribute to the continuous improvement of our client offering by constantly interrogating clients’ marketing goals and ensuring that we meet them
- Collaborate with sales colleagues; company management; product managers; editorial; marketing and development teams to ensure that new business objectives are clearly articulated and incorporated into wider plans to support your commercial objectives
- Ensure that the business development team have easy access to appropriate, high-quality, up-to-date sales collateral.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience working within B2B media and/or event sales; ideally, in a new business team
- A leader who holds people management experience (minimum 4 years)
- Excellent selling, negotiating and closing skills
- Experience working with Salesforce or similar CRM.
- Comfortable with high-activity call and email prospecting.
- Exceptional organisational skills – the ability to multi-task, prioritise, and manage time effectively.
- Data-driven and ability to constantly review and optimize sales process.
- Excellent verbal, presentation and written communications skills.
- Ability to present at a senior decision maker level.
- Great attitude: proactive and energetic, enthusiastic and fun to work alongside, with a strong work ethic
- Highly organised and structured planner with the ability to deliver projects on time
- Outstanding people skills with the ability to develop relationships with a wide range of individuals
- Completely invested in driving both individual and team success
- Excellent accuracy/attention to detail essential
- Commercially aware
- Able to remain calm under pressure in a fast-moving environment
- Results-oriented and tenacious
Our culture is inclusive, modern, friendly, smart and innovative – we seek to employ bright, positive thinking individuals with a can-do attitude. Our people enjoy challenging themselves to be the best at what they do – if that sounds like you, you’ll fit right in!
Contentive see diversity as a really positive thing that actually creates a better workplace and delivers better outcomes, so we are really keen to maximise the diversity of the workforce and actively encourage applications from anyone and everyone.
- Flexible mindset
- Humble and Social
- Diverse and inclusive.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- 25 days of paid holidays (plus a Birthday Day and an additional day off around Christmas)
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary.
- Pension Scheme
- The right mix of challenges, learning and development opportunities
Your career is in your hands. We expect you to take ownership of your own career development and of course, we are here to support and guide you. Our career pathway is designed to clearly highlight the different avenues you may wish to take during your career with Contentive. We encourage you to have open and honest conversations about how you are performing in your role and ask for feedback. We adopt the growth mindset principle to development. “Success is not an accident; success is a choice.” – Stephen Curry.