Blenheim Chalcot is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and infrastructure. Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries being disrupted by digital including FinTech, EdTech, GovTech, Media, Sport, Charity and more. We are highly entrepreneurial and seek opportunities where digital technologies can disrupt major markets - ventures we have built range from ClearScore to Agilisys and AVADO to even the Rajasthan Royals cricket team.
Our portfolio of 19 companies have each been conceived and launched by us and now have total sales of over £400 million and more than 3,000 employees. Our assets under management stands at greater than £1bn. Our portfolio companies vary in stage from seed to venture to late growth and are based in our offices across London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, New York, Boston and Mumbai.
The jewel in our crown is our venture builder services team, which exists to support our ventures to be successful more quickly and more sustainably than others, giving them an ‘unfair advantage’ over the competition. It provides a range of services to help new business get off the ground, including technology, HR and talent, finance, legal and tax.
We are looking for someone to take on the role of Venture Management Accountant, a new and exciting opening. The successful applicant will be part of a dedicated team working across early stage ventures to provide them with a complete Finance function.
The duties of the role include:
- Initially focusing on one venture but with the prospect of gaining exposure across a number of different portfolio companies in due course
- Liaising with Finance shared service colleagues in India
- As an excel expert, creating and keeping updated detailed budget models
- Oversight across all finance areas: invoicing, procure to pay, employee expenses, payroll, management accounting, VAT calculations, credit control, corporation tax calculations, monthly commentaries, cashflow reporting and statutory reporting.
- Ensuring that work undertaken by the deployed team is accurate
- Identifying and executing efficiencies in the regular weekly and monthly tasks
- Involvement in a General Ledger upgrade plan, ensuring that foreseen synergies and process improvements are achieved.
- Conversations with senior stakeholders in the businesses
- Ad hoc tasks
It is essential that the successful applicant is comfortable delivering simultaneous solutions to several ventures and be able to mentally flick between the demands of each one. Excellent communication skills are crucial to being successful in this role where a significant number of daily interactions using phone or VC capability.
The Ideal Candidate
- Recently Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent)
- Highly proficient excel user with demonstrable experience building excel based budgets
- Ability to take complex financial information and produce intuitive reports or presentations to non-financial people
- A proactive self-starter
- A willingness to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in to diagnose and resolve an issue
- Quick learner with a desire to put themselves outside their comfort zone
- An effective communicator with remote teams and colleagues of varying seniority
- Be able to “get stuff done” with minimal supervision
- Mental agility to juggle work with different ventures
- A right first-time attitude
- Able to travel within the UK for up to 8 days/month (following relaxation of Covid restrictions)
- Always striving to improve processes and ensure they meet stakeholder needs
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to work with ventures across different industry segments
- Access to CEOs and other senior decision makers within each business
- Be part of the UK’s leading digital venture builder and have the opportunity to be a part of and learn from the incredible talent in BC
- Be exposed to the right mix of challenges and learning and development opportunities
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary
- Flexible Benefits: Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries, Dental Cashplan
We have a rigorous recruitment process to ensure we attract the very best talent. Our process includes:
- Telephone introductory call – to learn about you and to introduce BC
- First round – a timed excel based case study delivered by email.
- Second and third rounds – remote interviews with a combination of Managers, peers and HR which may also include a psychometric test
- (We are an equal opportunities employer and so if you may require any adjustments as part of the recruitment process, please contact (email@example.com) to identify any additional support required)
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot must note we see diversity as a really positive thing that actually creates a better workplace and delivers better outcomes, so we are really keen to maximise the diversity of the workforce and actively encourage applications from anyone and everyone