Role: Junior Investment Operations Manager
Location: Hammersmith, but moving to White City mid-2020
Blenheim Chalcot (BC) is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and infrastructure. Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries being disrupted by digital including FinTech, EdTech, GovTech, Media, Sport, Charity and more. We are highly entrepreneurial and seek opportunities where digital technologies can disrupt major markets - ventures we have built range from ClearScore to Agilisys and AVADO to even the Rajasthan Royals cricket team.
Our portfolio of 19 companies have each been conceived and launched by us and now have total sales of over £400 million and more than 3,000 employees. Our asset value is now approaching £900 million. Our portfolio companies vary in stage from seed to venture to late growth and are based in our offices across London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, New York, Boston, Denver and Mumbai.
As part of our expansion strategy in 2020 we will increasingly work closely with investment and strategic partners ranging from Google, WorldPay, L&G, Imperial College and some of the leading venture capital and private equity companies internationally.
The BC Investments Team
The Investments Team is responsible for defining and executing the investment strategy of BC, working with our network of investors to provide Portfolio Companies with the financial support and investment services they need to thrive. The team is responsible for monitoring and analysing the portfolio (existing and potential ventures), fundraising both by BC family offices and external investors, M&A support, investment and Fund governance, marketplace engagement, investor relations and compliance.
BC is looking for an experienced consultant or operations executive to manage the activities of our team of investment analysts and associates and help us deliver the new processes required as BC expands. The role will report to the Heads of the Investment Team and will require interaction with the Blenheim Chalcot Founding Partners on regular occasion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and provide operational leadership for BC’s Investment Team functions
- Take strategic and tactical responsibility for delivery of core investment operations, including:
- Coordination of portfolio monitoring and Quarterly Portfolio Reporting
- Coordination of Investment Committee and materials
- Coordination of Investment and Finance board meetings and materials
- Manage team performance for 6+ Analysts and Associates:
- Budgeting and resource management - such as Project allocation (e.g. for fund raising support)
- Recruitment and retention
- People management including defining career development
- Training planning and updating training materials
- Review and maintain oversight of internal processes and procedures
- To make operations more efficient, minimize risk, and reduce errors
- To update based on changing team requirements
- To set up new platforms, interfaces or procedures where necessary
- Communicate regularly with portfolio CEOs or external parties to ensure projects are run effectively
- Respond to various external and internal requests in a timely and professional manner
- Actively engage with other central BC functions and contribute to a single BC culture
- BA/BS and minimum 4 years’ experience in an investment/management consulting/operations manager role, with an understanding of business reporting
- Experience managing a team of c.6 people and reporting directly to leadership teams and senior stakeholders
- Excellent Microsoft Office, accuracy and organizational skills to manage data, projects, and processes
- Demonstrable interest in the start-up investment industry, including views on selected BC portfolio companies, current market trends and competitive landscape.
- A desire to understand BC's structure and identify opportunities to utilize BC resources
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills when interacting with central and BC portfolio companies’ management and colleagues.
- Ability to make decisions and work in a fast-paced and at times unstructured environment, under minimal supervision
- Desirable - Experience with investment management platforms, CRM client databases (e.g. Salesforce), and investment reporting
What we can offer
- A fast-paced and exciting role in the central team within the UK’s largest venture builder
- Ownership and responsibility to make things happen and make a real difference, in a diverse and innovative organisation
- A variety of training courses in soft and technical skills
- A friendly, supportive environment with an entrepreneurial team culture
- Opportunities for professional growth within BC central team
- Permanent, full time role starting as soon as possible
- Competitive salary (depending on experience)
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical insurance, learning allowance, cycle to work scheme, free fruits and many office perks and activities
We have a rigorous recruitment process which we use for all our roles to ensure we attract the very best talent.
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot must note we see diversity as a positive thing that creates a better workplace and delivers better outcomes; we are therefore committed to maximising the diversity of the workforce and actively encourage applications from everyone