Koodoo is a new financial technology business that is shaking up the world of mortgages. The mortgage market is undergoing a major shift, with much more emphasis being placed on consumer choice, transparency and the role for new technology. Backed by the UK’s leading digital venture builder (Blenheim Chalcot), Koodoo is building the technology to help connect customers seamlessly and intelligently with their next mortgage. We are working with some of the biggest names in financial services - comparison sites, marketplace providers, lenders - to deliver a better mortgage application and renewal experience to millions of borrowers in the UK.
About Blenheim Chalcot
Blenheim Chalcot has an unrivalled track record for building successful and disruptive digital ventures. Providing much more than just funds, businesses in the Blenheim Chalcot portfolio benefit from over 20 years of experience, knowledge, ideas and infrastructure. With offices in London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, New York and Mumbai, over 3000 employees, sales of over £300m, and a track record of building over 40 companies, the Blenheim Chalcot model aims to create an “unfair advantage” for its companies as they grow from ideas into multi-million pound, market-leading businesses. Companies in the portfolio, past and present, include Agilisys, TDX, ClearScore, Oakbrook Finance, Liberis and Salary Finance.
We have developed a cloud-based, API-driven platform that connects mortgage customers with the best financial products for their needs. We push ourselves to use the best tools for the job - whether that's by using the latest technologies, leveraging the best of the open source ecosystem, or using tried and trusted development patterns. We are managing a ‘true’ microservices system architecture, using NodeJS, MongoDB, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, ReactJS and much more.
Our technology philosophy
At Koodoo, we believe that if something is worth building, it is worth building right. We embody the principles of agile in a way that works well for us as a business and we aren’t afraid to evolve our thinking as the shape of our business changes. We base our development approach on SOLID principles, domain driven design patterns and clean code; we believe in creating systems that are built for continuous integration; we believe that all software should be built with a test-first approach, with a strong focus on performance, reliability, and automation at the heart of the engineering team; we believe that DevOps and Reliability Engineering are full team responsibilities - a mindset, not a job title; we believe that software should be built for true continuous delivery (release early, release often). Furthermore, we believe that great software development teams should have a culture of mutual support, continuous learning, ownership… and fun!
- Pension scheme (3% employer; 5% employee)
- Flexible benefits package worth up to £800 a year (pro-rated in first year)
- 25 days holiday (with the option to buy more)
- Life Assurance
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working
- Dev staff issued with MacBook Pro
- Investment in training and conferences
- 10% time to develop new ideas and experiment with new technologies
- Regular hackathons and events to promote team working and on going learning
- Modern, spacious office environment with free tea, coffee and fruit - and a craft beer fridge!
- You will be joining a software engineering team that takes quality seriously. You should bring that same passion for building the best software you can.
- You will have a strong focus on clean code, you will understand the value of software patterns and will favour test-first development.
- You will also have a passion for staying abreast of the latest developments in the software development landscape, and a personal ethic of continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Even if you aren’t well versed in every programming paradigm under the sun, you should have an appreciation for some of the different flavours and how to apply them
- We build to a microservices architectural pattern built mostly around the NodeJS ecosystem (including frameworks similar to Express, React, Svelte, Joi), as well as spots of Python and Go.
- You should be comfortable with data persistence technologies such as MongoDB, and redis.
- While we favour a ‘full stack’ mindset, there will be opportunities for you to specialise in front end or back end development.
- Even if you haven’t yet had the opportunity to build them, you will understand the core principles of developing microservices, along with some of the pros and cons.
- You will join a team that takes a measured approach to solution design with domain driven design principles at the core of our process.
- As a small, focused team operating in a startup environment, we place a great emphasis on delivery and our ability to get new features live quickly, without compromising on quality, security or user experience.
- We host our services in Docker containers, managed by Kubernetes on Google Cloud Platform, supported by rich automated testing and deployment pipelines.
- As we consider DevOps to be a full team responsibility, it will be an advantage if you have experience of Continuous Delivery practices and toolchains, and ideally some hands-on experience with public cloud services.
- We encourage a high degree of personal ownership, and all members of the team have the opportunity to contribute to the architectural design and the decision-making process.
If you recognise yourself in the above description, and the idea of working in a fast-paced, supportive and fun environment - where building code to a high standard is both expected and encouraged - then Koodoo is the place for you. You will find yourself working with some of the smartest, and we like to think nicest, software professionals that you could ever hope to work with!