Location: London (Hammersmith), Cambridge or Nottingham
Blenheim Chalcot is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. We build tech start-ups that are geared to disrupt and transform sectors. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and our infrastructure.
Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries covering FinTech, EdTech, Media, Sport, Charity and more. You may have heard of some of our growing businesses such as ClearScore, Agilisys, Instrumental, Hive Learning and the Rajasthan Royals. Our portfolio represents sales of over £300 million, £850 million of assets under management, more than 3,000 employees and a successful track record of over 40 companies.
The jewel in our crown is our venture builder services team, which exists to support our ventures to be successful more quickly and more sustainably than others, giving them an ‘unfair advantage’ over the competition. It provides a range of services to help new business get off the ground, including technology, HR and talent, sales and marketing, finance, legal and tax.
We are looking for someone to take on the role of Venture Financial Controller, a new and exciting opening. The successful applicant will be to lead a dedicated team working across early stage ventures to provide them with a complete Finance function.
The duties of the role include:
- Working across a number of different portfolio companies
- Leading a small team with scope to expand in the future
- Liaising with Finance shared service colleagues in India
- Responsibility for ensuring the accuracy and control of all finance activity for the ventures covered: invoicing, procure to pay, employee expenses, payroll, management accounting, VAT calculations, credit control, corporation tax calculations, monthly commentaries, cashflow reporting and statutory reporting.
- Identifying and executing efficiencies in the regular weekly and monthly tasks
- Involvement in a General Ledger upgrade plan
- Conversations with senior stakeholders in the businesses
- Create a centre of Financial excellence to use as a business development prop to grow new client relationships within the portfolio
- Ad hoc tasks
It is essential that the successful applicant is comfortable delivering simultaneous solutions to several ventures and be able to mentally flick between the demands and manage the relationships of each one. Excellent communication skills are essential to being successful in this role where a significant number of daily interactions using phone or VC capability.
The Ideal Candidate:
- A qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) with at least 5 years’ PQE
- Experience of managing a team
- History of working with a deployed Finance team
- Experience of working with stakeholders in different locations
- Ability to take complex financial information and produce intuitive reports or presentations to non-financial people
- A proactive self-starter
- A willingness to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in to diagnose and resolve an issue
- Quick learner with a desire to put themselves outside their comfort zone
- An effective communicator with remote teams and colleagues of varying seniority
- Be able to “get stuff done” with minimal supervision
- Mental agility to juggle work with different ventures
- A right first-time attitude
- Able to travel within the UK for up to 8 days/month
- Always striving to improve processes and ensure they meet stakeholder needs
- Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- The opportunity to work with ventures across different industry segments
- Access to CEOs and other senior decision makers within each business
- Be part of the UK’s leading digital venture builder and have the opportunity to be a part of and learn from the incredible talent in BC
- Be exposed to the right mix of challenges and learning and development opportunities
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary
- Flexible Benefits: Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries, Dental Cashplan
We have a rigorous recruitment process to ensure we attract the very best talent. Our process includes:
- Pre-screening with a recruitment professional
- First round – a case study and two interviews with a combination of Managers, peers and HR which may also include a psychometric test
- Second round – Interviews with Directors
- Third round – Interview with CEO and Partners
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot must note we see diversity as a really positive thing that actually creates a better workplace and delivers better outcomes, so we are really keen to maximise the diversity of the workforce and actively encourage applications from anyone and everyone.