Blenheim Chalcot is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. We build tech start-ups that are geared to disrupt and transform sectors. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and our infrastructure.
Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries covering FinTech, EdTech, Media, Sport, Charity and more. You may have heard of some of our growing businesses such as ClearScore, Agilisys, Instrumental, Hive Learning and the Rajasthan Royals.
The jewel in our crown is our venture builder services team, which exists to support our ventures to be successful more quickly and more sustainably than others, giving them an ‘unfair advantage’ over the competition. It provides a range of services to help new business get off the ground, including technology, HR and talent, sales and marketing, finance, legal and tax.
Our portfolio represents sales of over £300 million, £850 million of assets under management, more than 3,000 employees and a successful track record of over 40 companies. We currently have a portfolio of 20 companies varying in stage from seed to venture to growth, based in our offices across London, Nottingham, New York and Mumbai.
IMPACT BEYOND PROFIT
Building profitable digital businesses isn’t our sole focus. We are also involved in a range of charitable activities – with colleagues engaged in mental health initiatives, the education of girls in the developing world, building 21st century youth facilities in deprived areas, and supporting charities with the use of digital technologies.
Our culture is inclusive, modern, friendly, smart and innovative – we seek to employ bright, positive thinking individuals with a can-do attitude. Our people enjoy challenging themselves to be the best at what they do – if that sounds like you, you’ll fit right in!
- Never stop looking for a better way of doing things; be curious
- Building businesses is fast-paced and fluid; be nimble
- Sharing knowledge and networks builds better businesses; be collaborative
- Understand getting the best out of people is better for everyone; be supportive
- The best ideas aren’t always your own; seek diversity
- Decisions should be driven by analytics and customer insight; embrace data
- Keep going when the going gets tough, be open to feedback and willingness to change and experiment; be resilient
- Keep promises, drive to achieve, commit to deliver high quality work; be dependable
- Knowing why we are doing something and that it matters makes us better at what we do: be clear on purpose.
Key duties and responsibilities
We build businesses that transform industries and we know that figuring out product-market fit and effective go-to-market strategies enables our businesses to grow more quickly and with superior economics.
We have a central group responsible for supporting our businesses with sales and marketing expertise – helping to advise on best practice and implementation, as well as helping to scope and resource projects (including sourcing and managing external suppliers). This role will form part of the design function within the group, providing hands-on services, practical, expert advice to our businesses to help drive performance, through effective integration of creative services.
This is a unique opportunity to have a significant impact on the success of businesses across the Blenheim Chalcot portfolio and to help capture and share best practice across the group.
- You will work within a creative team that covers both design and content, to deliver practical and valuable advice to our ventures as well as being available to our businesses to support where required.
- Your own design work will set an extremely high bar, and act as an example which all designers want to follow.
- In this role, you’ll support businesses across our portfolio to develop their brand aesthetic, marketing collateral, product design and user experience. Accelerating the companies so that they grow more quickly and sustainably.
- You will be a brilliant creative and strategic thinker who can see how creativity can solve business problems.
- You’ll be expected to inspire complete confidence in ventures – You’ll need to see the bigger strategic picture, fully understand clients’ worlds and possess the conviction, authority and utter clarity of thought needed to enable them to succeed.
- You’ll be expected to support important creative decisions on behalf of the ventures and Blenheim Chalcot, so your judgement and decision-making skills will be excellent.
- You are 100% credible with clients/ventures, earning permission to push the creativity and ambition.
- You are a great planner who constantly thinks ahead about the needs of the team, the project and the venture – able to prioritise, delegate and understand resourcing needs.
- You must have the ability to work seamlessly with strategists and other central services.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate would demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- 5 years+ experience working in Graphic Design
- Assertive, inspiring and perceptive – able to ‘read’ and weigh-up complex situations and others’ motivations.
- A great problem solver, with the judgement, experience and decisiveness to make things happen
- Committed, energetic and positive; up for any challenge
- Determined and tenacious enough to see things through
- Constantly challenging themselves and others to get the best out of each other
- Generous, able to share ownership, never precious, never protective
- Open minded and flexible, constantly looking for new ways to make stuff happen and make the design better
- Unafraid to try – and fail, possessing a ‘nothing is impossible’ spirit
- Always hungry to learn, always ready to share
- Never afraid to offer opinion – or ask others theirs.
- Understanding of digital marketing tools and techniques
- Experience of working in a start-up or scale up business during a period of rapid growth
- Experience in both digital (UX, UI) and brand design (identity, expression) is a must
- Additional experience in the following creative disciplines:
- Print design: Editorial, Stationary
- An added benefit but not essential:
- Film and Animation: Storyboarding, art directing, directing
- Development: HTML, CSS, Java, Processing
- Freelance experience would be advantageous
Possess the following technology skills:
- You should be highly proficient in:
- Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Prototype tools such as Invision, Marvel, Flinto, Zepplin
- Have in-depth UX knowledge, understanding the process flow
- Have the necessary skills to develop prototype models, wireframe and test
Possess the following personal characteristics:
- Low-ego, hands-on, comfortable with change and ambiguity, entrepreneurial.
- Curiosity and intellect. An ‘external’ perspective. Very smart. Able to think on feet and adapt quickly and come up with innovative ideas.
- Leadership and communication. Mature, self-aware, succinct.
- Commercial acumen. An instinct to maximise the value of activities.
- Strategic orientation. The ability to think long-term and big picture. To define a compelling vision and translate it into short-term actions and get them done!
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- Be part of the UK’s leading digital venture builder and have the opportunity to be a part of and learn from the incredible talent in BC
- Be exposed to the right mix of challenges and learning and development opportunities, including secondments and the opportunity to move around VBS or/and its ventures
- A fun and open, if a little cricket obsessed, atmosphere
- Discretionary 10 % bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible Benefits, including Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries, Dental Cashplan
- Free fruit every day
We have a rigorous recruitment process which we use for all our roles to ensure we attract the very best talent. Our process includes:
- First round – two interviews with a combination of Managers, peers and a psychometric test
- Second round – Interviews with Directors and a case study
We would be keen for the candidate to start as soon as possible, but it is more important to us to find the right person and we able to respect notice periods of up to 3 months.
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot must note we see diversity as a really positive thing that actually creates a better workplace and delivers better outcomes, so we are really keen to maximise the diversity of the workforce and actively encourage applications from anyone and everyone