Trustee, Tech Trust
Tech Trust has established itself as one of the leading enablers of digital change to charities in the UK. We are a very successful Charity and social enterprise, working closely with tech sector partners to provide 33,000 charities with technology guidance and information and discounted technology products. Since 2001 Tech Trust has helped charities in the UK achieve more than £200M in technology savings.
Our Charity Digital News online portal has become a trusted source of digital content for over 32,000 individual subscribers and there is an opportunity to further increase its content and develop associated services which further expand its user base and deepen its impact.
The Charity is in a strong financial position, entirely self-sufficient from income generated by charitable trading activities and able to progress an ambitious vision and strategy. Our revenues are in the region of £1.5m a year, we produce a surplus each year and have a strong balance sheet.
None of this would have been possible without working in an open and collaborative way with our partners in the tech and charity sector and listening to different perspectives about driving digital change.
We are based in offices near Leicester Square and employs around 13 staff.
The role of the Board of trustees is vital to drive the strategic direction of the Charity in an ever changing technological environment. You would be responsible for ensuring that it is accountable to its beneficiaries (other charities) and to the Charity Commission and that effective governance process are in place. The Board brings with it a wealth of senior experience from across many sectors helping to provide advice and assistance to the executive team.
In line with Charity Code of Governance, Tech Trust has limits on the duration that Trustees can serve and as a result has a number of retirements planned over the coming 18 months. We are therefore looking for a number of new trustees and would welcome applications from individuals who have a strong understanding of our charity beneficiaries or tech sector partners and who bring skills, knowledge and experience which will help the Charity to further develop and grow. In particular we are seeking individuals who bring combinations of:
- A deep understanding of the UK not for profit sector, most likely resulting from having held senior leadership positions in charities
- Experience of having led the deployment of successful, high impact digital technology strategies in the charity / not for profit sector
- A strong knowledge of charity legal matters and governance
- Being an entrepreneur with experience of leading or managing a small organisation through a period of rapid growth and maturity
- Experience in devising and executing high growth publishing / media business strategies
- A marketing expert with strengths in brand and a knowledge of both B2B and B2C marketing
- An in depth understanding of digital technology trends and the opportunities that technology presents to improve services and in turn increase social impact
- Senior commercial line management experience from a technology company and ability to represent the perspectives of tech sector partners
Possessing a strong network in at least one of the public, private or third sector would also be an advantage.
We recognise that we can only create the digital products, services and content of tomorrow by having a diverse board and our board is currently not representative of our beneficiaries and wider community. In particular women, those with disabilities and people from minority ethnic groups are under-represented. We are committed to changing this and would particularly welcome applications from individuals in these and other under-represented groups.
The Board meets quarterly at the offices of the Charity – usually in the evening and trustees are expected to attend all meetings either in person or by joining through telephone.
These are voluntary positions and therefore unpaid. However, we pay trustee expenses
For further information on this important and interesting position can be obtained from Katie Stearn at firstname.lastname@example.org and for further information on the Charity – visit tech-trust.org and charitydigitalnews.co.uk