Blenheim Chalcot (BC) is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. We build tech start-ups to transform industries. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and our infrastructure. Our ventures are at the forefront of a number of sectors including FinTech, EdTech, Media and more.
It is a cohesive group and we have a strong culture built around curious, engaging and innovative people. Working alongside entrepreneurs and co-founders, we support our ventures from start-up to scale to exit, giving them access to the global networks and services they need to grow.
Our portfolio represents sales of over £300 million, £850 million of assets under management, more than 3,000 employees and a successful track record of over 40 companies. We host our start-ups in incubator space; one in the heart of Hammersmith, another in White City, in the centre of Nottingham, Mumbai and New York, all are homes to a buzzing mix of fast growth digital start-ups. We currently have 19 companies in the portfolio which vary in stage from seed to venture to growth to scaling.
One of our key differentiators in the market is the strength of our networks across industry, government, academia and investment and this together with our venture building experience and services means that we genuinely accelerate the growth and success of our portfolio companies more significantly, quickly and sustainably.
BLENHEIM CHALCOT VENTURE BUILDER and INVESTMENT SERVICES
We provide a range of services to help new businesses get off the ground as well as to help more established businesses access best practice tools, solutions, investment, advice and expertise.
We support our businesses delivering the following services:
- HR, L&D and Talent o Technology
- Go to Market services
- Legal and Tax
- Finance and accounting
Working closely with BC Partners, the BC and venture CEOs, this lynchpin role has overall ownership for all centrally delivered talent recruitment and capability development.
- Execute the ambitious strategy set for 2019 for talent recruitment and development across BC to ensure that the most vital needs to portfolio businesses are met and the central talent and capability service is a genuine source of competitive advantage
- Develop the strategy and establish a clear plan for the evolution of the services offered to BC portfolio businesses and central teams, secure agreement and funding allocation from BC Partners beyond 2019
- Take accountability for the end-to-end delivery of this plan – encompassing all centrally managed recruitment and centrally delivered learning resources and development programmes
- Take ownership of and ensure the strict adherence to the operating budget for talent recruitment and learning; working closely with each venture to understand their budget availability and plan programmes and deliverables according to that • Plan, design, deliver, track and evaluate all recruitment and talent development initiatives, ensuring appropriate communication of plans and progress to all key stakeholders
- Bring together and lead the central talent recruitment and development team, creating and sustaining a high performing team which reflects the values and behaviours of the “ideal” BC candidates and working very closely with key HR & L&D leaders within portfolio companies to establish a vibrant and highly effectively community
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
A broad and deep understanding of the impact effective recruitment and talent development can have on organisational capability and effectiveness
- A track record in adding significant commercial value to businesses of varying sizes, stages, turnover and complexity with a clear understanding of digital businesses
- A flexible and adaptable approach, paired with an ability to manage complex and ambiguous challenges
- Outstanding communication and organisational skills – an ability to get things done, under time pressure, working creatively with resources from a variety of backgrounds and down to earth, “willing to roll up sleeves” attitude.
- The confidence and experience to work with multiple senior stakeholders
- pushing back where necessary to ensure rapid, pragmatic progress against the highest priorities
- ability to sell a product or service to them in a persuasive and convincing way
- ensuring you can coordinate the resources to deliver against the commitment made.
- A strategic perspective with analytical and intellectual rigour
- Ideally, but not strictly necessary, significant experience of developing and delivering talent recruitment and development programmes – with a good understanding of best practice as applied to a fast-paced dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
- We will consider well suited candidates from a broad-range of academic backgrounds and career paths – the key is that the person has the passion, ability, drive and cultural fit to make a major impact in this critical area for BC.
Our culture is inclusive, modern, friendly, smart and innovative – we seek to employ bright, positive thinking individuals with a can-do attitude. Our people enjoy challenging themselves to be the best at what they do – if that sounds like you, you’ll fit right in!
- Never stop looking for a better way of doing things; be curious
- Building businesses is fast-paced and fluid; be nimble
- Sharing knowledge and networks builds better businesses; be generous
- Understand getting the best out of people is better for everyone; be supportive
- The best ideas aren’t always your own; seek diversity
- Decisions should be driven by analytics and customer insight; embrace data.
- Honesty and integrity – trustworthy
- Resilience - keeps going when the going gets tough, remains optimistic in the face of challenges, open to feedback and willingness to change and experiment
- Team work – is collaborative and supportive, elevating and developing others to deliver results,
- Innovation - restless to improve, challenges how to make things better
- Deliver results - keeps promises, drives to achieve, commitment to high quality work
- People awareness – collaborative and supportive, respectful
- Commercial awareness - looks for best value solutions for the business, understand costs / revenues, spends money wisely
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- Chance to be a part of, impact and learn from the UK’s leading digital venture builder
- The right mix of challenges, learning and development opportunities
- Dynamic start-up environment
- Starting salary of: £80-90k depending on experience
- Discretionary 20% bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible Benefits: Perkbox, Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries
- Free fruit every day
We will look to invite interviewees into our own incubator; a 30,000sft venture hub office based in Hammersmith, home to a mix of BC digital start-ups.
Our approach and style is professional yet down to earth. Whilst challenging, we hope the process will be as engaging and insightful for you as it will be for us.
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.