Blenheim Chalcot is the UK’s leading digital venture builder. We build tech start-ups that are geared to disrupt and transform sectors. We invest more than just funds, we invest our knowledge and experience, our ideas and our infrastructure. Our ventures are at the forefront of a multitude of industries covering FinTech, EdTech, Media, Sport and more.
Blenheim Chalcot is a cohesive group and we have a strong culture built around curious, engaging and innovative people. Working alongside entrepreneurs and co-founders, we support our ventures from start-up to scale to exit, giving them access to the global networks and services they need to grow.
Our portfolio represents sales of over £300 million, more than 3,000 employees and a successful track record of over 40 companies. We host our start-ups in an incubator, within a 30,000 sft venture hub office in Hammersmith, home to a buzzing mix of fast growth digital start-ups. We currently have 19 companies in the portfolio which vary in stage from seed to venture to growth to scaling.
One of our key differentiators in the market are the strength of our networks across industry, government, academia and investment and this together with our venture building experience and Venture Builder Services means that we can genuinely claim to accelerate the growth and success of our portfolio companies more significantly, quickly and sustainably.
More details can be found at www.blenheimchalcot.com
This is a newly created role within the tax function of the Venture Builder Services to provide tax compliance support to companies in the Blenheim Chalcot portfolio and work with the existing members of the tax team on a range of other projects.
The Venture Builder Services of Blenheim Chalcot are designed to provide start-ups with the expertise they would normally not have access to as small businesses and thus enable them to grow and unlock their potential. The tax function gets involved with businesses from a very early stage to provide advice on structuring and fundraising, and then supports them as they grow to scale, providing a variety of compliance and advisory services tailored to support the specific needs of each business. The candidate will be supported by an existing junior accountant.
This position will be based in London, in a close knit team as part of a busy, wider investment and venture building support function.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Preparing Corporation Tax returns for a range of companies including large groups and companies carrying out a significant amount of Research and Development. This will also include getting involved with the tax provisioning for the annual accounts.
- Preparing quarterly VAT returns for both standalone companies and a VAT group
- Assisting in obtaining share valuations for employee incentive schemes and in filings for EIS investments
- Advising portfolio finance teams on a range of tax and accounting queries
- Managing the work of a junior accountant to support the above activities
The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, ATT) with a good grasp of tax legislation and application. It is essential that successful applicant is comfortable managing their own workload, liaising with external advisers and working with multiple departments to pull together the information required. Coming from practice, experience of having worked with both Corporation Tax and VAT, and some accounts experience would be a significant advantage.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Accountant (Newly qualified – 1 year post qualified)
- Experience of preparing and filing Corporation Tax and VAT returns for both small and large businesses
- Familiar with Research and Development Tax Credits and Group Relief
- Awareness of Enterprise Investment Scheme and tax advantaged share schemes
- Ability to work autonomously but also collaborate where necessary
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Energetic, trustworthy, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success;
- Be comfortable in a fluid, progressive and dynamic, change orientated environment, and able to deploy:
- a proactive and confident approach;
- excellent communication and organisation skills;
- Dynamic, insightful and influential with the ability to operate at strategic and operational levels.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A chance to be a part of, a close-knit team but with regular interaction with the investment and advisory teams, within the UK’s leading digital venture builder
- The right mix of challenges, learning and development opportunities
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of paid holidays
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary. Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible Benefits: Perkbox, Private Medical, Gym Subsidiaries
- Free fruit every day
Our culture is inclusive, modern, friendly, smart and innovative – we seek to employ bright, positive thinking individuals with a can-do attitude. Our people enjoy challenging themselves to be the best at what they do – if that sounds like you, you’ll fit right in!
- Never stop looking for a better way of doing things;be curious
- Building businesses is fast-paced and fluid; be nimble
- Sharing knowledge and networks builds better businesses; be collaborative
- Understand getting the best out of people is better for everyone; be supportive
- The best ideas aren’t always your own; seek diversity
- Decisions should be driven by analytics and customer insight; embrace data
- Keep going when the going gets tough, be open to feedback and willingness to change and experiment; be resilient
- Keep promises, drive to achieve, commit to deliver high quality work;be dependable
- Knowing why we are doing something and that it matters makes us better at what we do: be clear on purpose.
- Honesty and integrity – trustworthy
- Resilience - keeps going when the going gets tough, remains optimistic in the face of challenges, open to feedback and willingness to change and experiment
- Team work – is collaborative and supportive, elevating and developing others to deliver results,
- Innovation - restless to improve, challenges how to make things better
- Deliver results - keeps promises, drives to achieve, commitment to high quality work
- People awareness – collaborative and supportive, respectful
- Commercial awareness - looks for best value solutions for the business, understand costs / revenues, spends money wisely
Blenheim Chalcot is committed to delivering social impact across the portfolio wherever possible. Rather than just write a dusty CSR policy, or send a team out to paint a playground once a year, we chose to support four charities directly within the portfolio – which means that over 15% of our ventures are charities.
These charities are the British Asian Trust, The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Onside Youth Zones, and TechTrust. In the same way that we support our ventures, our Partners provide direct hands on support to the charities through sitting on the boards and much more. In addition, we employ a full time Head of Social Impact who is responsible for boosting our impact across these charities and seeking out social value opportunities across the wider portfolio
We also encourage our ventures to engage in their own social and charitable initiatives, driven by staff – many of the ventures have selected long term charity partners which they are supporting on an ongoing basis.
We will look to invite interviewees into our own incubator; home to a mix of BC digital start-ups. This will be an opportunity to meet with the Head of the Tax Team of Blenheim Chalcot as well as functional leads, before meeting other members of your team and then one or two of the Founding Partners at final stage.
Our approach and style is professional yet down to earth. Whilst challenging, we hope the process will be as engaging and insightful for you as it will be for us.
Individuals seeking employment at Blenheim Chalcot are considered without regards to race, colour, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.