Bleach is the home of experimental hair. From our three London-based salons overseen by our Creative Director and celebrity stylist Alex Brownsell, to our eco-friendly, vegan and cruelty-free products, if you’re looking for advice, an appointment, or products relating to experimental colour or care, we’ve got you covered.
Founded in 2010, we’ve built an engaged community (345K Instagram followers and counting), gained recognition from the industry (Vogue, ID, Dazed), and have signed wholesale deals with a range of partners, including Selfridges, Boots and Sephora.
We’ve self-funded to date, profitably generating eight figure revenue in 2018, and have recently raised a significant investment round from top-tier consumer investors to take the brand to the next level. With this in mind, we’re recruiting a creative front-end engineering team to bring the brand to life online.
As a key part of this team, your role will be as a Frontend engineer. You’ll be working with a modern JAMstack that ticks all the right boxes. We’re using best-in-class, API-first SaaS products, collecting our data using Snowplow, and writing code (React & Redux for starters, but you’ll be able to influence many of our library and framework choices), which is continuously deployed straight to the CDN. This stack has not only been selected to be a joy to work with but is almost entirely unburdened by technical debt.
However, this is not a role where you’ll be expected to write code in isolation (opportunities to work remotely or quietly, absolutely, but this is role best suited for someone who thrives as part of a high-functioning team). In addition to collaborating with colleagues in systems and data engineering, you’ll be working cross-functionally with amazing creative talent, bringing interactive experiences to life.
Indeed, Bleach is probably one of the few places on the planet where the Vetements AW2021 show (which we styled) is discussed at the same table as the Joel Test. This, more than anything, speaks to the diverse and credible nature of the team we’re assembling here. Or to put it another way, if this sounds like your dream job, it almost certainly is.
We will look to you to:
- Write technically proficient code, in accordance with the latest standards and practices
- Select appropriate frameworks and libraries as appropriate. While we’re pretty set on writing a lot of what we do with React/Redux as the primary front-end framework, when it comes to most other things, we are decided un-opinionated
- Know how (and, more importantly, when) to write tests for front-end components
- Perform code review (and in a way which is accurate, thoughtful and empathetic)
- Enjoy working cross-functionally with creative colleagues and external collaborators
- Understand when something needs a bit more polish and when it just needs to be pushed to production, and make the right call on this more often than not
- Keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and, where relevant, champion their adoption
We’re looking for someone who:
- has some professional experience with React / Redux (unless you have other experience which obviates this requirement – e.g. if you’ve only worked with Angular but were doing so to the highest standards, then we’ll be cool with you taking a few weeks to figure out a new framework)
- is comfortable discussing design concepts with a good degree of familiarity and appreciation. If you consider yourself to be a hybrid designer-developer, then we’d absolutely love for you to apply. However, this is, first and foremost, a front-end engineering role and so we are looking individuals who over-weight on the engineering side. If you are designer who has some coding experience, or want to move towards more of a hybrid role, then check our other job listings to see if we have anything suitable for you
- understands enough of the principles of software engineering, along with relevant architectural patterns, to knowledgeably make decisions on how to implement features, structure code, and/or decide between superficially equivalent trade-offs
You may have a degree in software engineering or computer science, or you may have earned your skills and experiences elsewhere. Either way, you’ll be confident in your ability to excel in the role and will be able to talk us through the reasons why!
£60,000 basic, plus annual bonus, stock options, 32 days holiday, pension contributions and healthcare.
Not looking for something permanent? We have a number of 3-6 month contracts available, so please mention this on your application
If you want to include links to repos other online resources, that would be great. Equally, if you’ve been working on private repos and haven’t updated your public github projects for years, please don’t feel you need to do this for us! We’ll will invite candidates without a public body of work to do a coding test so that we can fairly evaluate your technical abilities.
You must have the right to live and work in the UK to apply for this job.
We believe that great companies are built by diverse teams. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applications for employment.