We are Black Swan Data
Black Swan Data is a fast-growing technology and data science business, with offices in the UK, South Africa, Hungary. We build high quality SaaS solutions which automate data science using advanced machine learning and deep learning techniques. We use some of the coolest technology on the planet so you will never get bored of doing the same thing.
Day to day, you will be part of an agile full stack feature team including Backend, Frontend, QA, Design, and Product management. We expect a TDD approach to development, producing high quality outputs. You will ensure development automation is implemented in Black Swan using CI tools such as Jenkins or GitLab and ensure best practices are followed and kept.
- Work with development and product teams to create innovative software solutions
- Design server-side architecture
- Build the back-end of applications utilising well known design patterns
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Test software to ensure it is scalable and extensible
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Write technical documentation
- Work with data scientists and analysts to improve software
- Good understanding of technology stacks including mobile, hybrid, back, middleware and front-end development
- Strong Core Java
- Spring Boot, Spring Data and wider Spring experience
- Familiarity with multiple database engines including SQL & No SQL
- Microservice experience
- Understanding of message driven architecture
- REST API development with a good understanding of accompanying standards
- Experience mentoring software developers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to customers, executives and non-technical leaders
- Understanding of product development and quality assurance processes
- Experience and understanding of technical considerations for cross product projects
- Knowledge and experience of industry standard tools including budgeting, scheduling, team and task management
- Be entrepreneurial, with a collaborative, supportive and team-based approach.
- Strong knowledge of Java and/or other back-end languages (e.g. C#, Python) would be an added plus
- Creating and managing of GraphQL API’s
- Working experience with message brokers, for example but not limited to SQS, RabbitMQ or ActiveMQ
- Possesses good business acumen and sound judgment
- Experience of managing a technical product build and campaign-based project
You’ll be part of a dynamic and growing global team
As we continue to grow across the world, you’ll find every day brings with it fresh challenges and opportunities to try new things.
You’ll be part of a diverse, smart, agile but laid-back team passionate about technology, who are also open-minded and always open to new ideas. Because we’re serious about finding ways to do things better. Which means you’ll find serious hardware. And no red tape. Or unnecessary process. Just less noise, less disruption and more time to focus.
So you’ll get the freedom to be yourself, to do the work you want to do and the freedom to grow. You’ll be trusted to get on with things and won’t have someone checking up on you 24/7. But you’ll also be supported, coached, advised and mentored. With constant opportunities to learn.
You’ll be well looked after
Not only will you get to work with a great team, you’ll also enjoy flexible hours, the flexibility to work from home on a remote contract. Not only this, you get unlimited holiday.
We recognise and reward hard work and we’re looking for someone to grow and go places with us.
You know you’ll fit right in
Things move quickly at Black Swan Data. And so do you. You’re bright, curious and optimistic, quick to pick up new concepts and open to learning new things. You love a challenge and getting stuck right in, ready to step up and run with anything.
You’re happy to fly solo and also enjoy being part of a team. Which means you’re adaptable and easy-going. And a good communicator.
You have a great eye for detail but can also see the bigger picture. And you have that magical ability to balance perfection and delivery.
You get things done. Because you give 110%. As do we.
What We Offer?
Remote Working -This role is eligible for remote working within UK. We support remote workers with a one-off allowance for home office setup. Every remote Swan would have a chance to also come to the Hub they are linked to once a year to meet their colleagues.
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development - Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data's projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable! You will benefit from our global benefits: Share options, staff referral scheme, wellness day, flexible and remote working, internal and online training initiatives, volunteering opportunities at white swan, birthday lie in, Christmas gift cards, quarterly staff events, sunshine hours and Flexible Leave Policy.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?