We are Black Swan Data
In a turbulent and fast-changing marketplace, the old world of traditional consumer research is no longer enough. Where there was slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s big data, machine learning and predictive analytics. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is on a mission to revolutionise Insights & Innovation through the power of Social Prediction. Using sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock social data’s potential to understand, connect and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than before.
Our TRENDSCOPE SaaS platform enables brands to apply Social Prediction to their business and deliver faster, better, more successful new product innovation launches. It puts the power of trend prediction at our user’s fingertips and is central to how we turn trend intelligence into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, Johnson & Johnson, P&G, Danone and Coty.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of around 150 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies. Since, we’ve been recognised by Deloitte Fast 50 and the London Stock Exchange for our cutting-edge technology and innovative approach.
Now is a great opportunity to join our rapidly growing data and technology SaaS business which is led by an experienced and inspiring management team. We’re passionate about what we do and committed to disrupt and drive industry change, so if you’re an enthusiastic team player and go-getter we want to hear from you.
“The best way to predict your future is to invent it.”
The Senior Insights Consultant will oversee the creation, validation, and management of our core Datasets for Black Swan Data. They will take a consultative approach to anticipate client needs and requirements, as well as applying robust quantitative and qualitative analysis to extract insight and recommendations from data.
What You will do:
- Own domain knowledge within the team and work proactively to understand the business challenge and industry context behind a brief, defining what good looks like for our product.
- Create, update and prioritise the domain roadmap, manage competing requests, while ensuring it aligns with business needs.
- Support and input into the strategy for managing the Datasets team in addition to a domain.
- Line manage consultants and associates, ensuring their OKRs are aligned with business needs.
- Oversee taxonomy definition, curation and improvement for structured social datasets. Re-use and incorporate publicly available or 3rd party taxonomies and ontologies where possible.
- Oversee the process of dataset builds, continuous maintenance and improvement of datasets.
- Be responsible for working with Product Managers to expand internal productivity tooling to improve Dataset build efficiency while maintaining the high quality of output.
- Manage stakeholder requests and communications, ensuring alignment with domain objectives and results.
We want people passionate about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different; it is what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast-paced, energised environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long-lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
- A passion for developing innovative solutions and challenging the status quo, with interest in new emerging research techniques and the potential in data and technology.
- Excellent listening and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to express thinking coherently.
- An organised problem solver, able to prioritise efficiently and comfortable processing enormous amounts of information.
- Eager to work in a team and have the substantial interpersonal skills to match, including the ability to respond to stakeholder requests in a timely, professional, and considerate manner.
- Able to flag any issues to more senior colleagues and delegate to more junior colleagues where appropriate.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 4+ years of working experience in a quantitative research/analytics role.
- Comfortable applying quantitative analytics techniques to data, with experience investigating and interpreting digital data sources such as social media.
- Solid project management skills and the ability to multitask.
- Strong technical writing skills and the ability to communicate complex analyses to non-technical stakeholders.
- Must be proficient using Excel, crosstab and equivalent data manipulation tools
- Comfortable leading and have experience managing a team of junior analysts, in addition to leading tooling workstreams.
- Excellent English knowledge, any additional language is an advantage
The following skills are ideal but not essential:
- Experience with a variety of industry sectors, FMCG, Food & Beverage, Personal Care, and Healthcare
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Hybrid Working – up to 60% of your working hours every month can be done remotely and the other 40% in our Cape Town Hub.
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development - Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data's projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable! You will benefit from our global benefits: Share options, staff referral scheme, wellness day, flexible and remote working, internal and online training initiatives, volunteering opportunities at white swan, birthday lie in, Christmas gift cards, quarterly staff events, sunshine hours and Flexible Leave Policy.
As well as the benefits unique to our Cape Town office - Pension & Risk benefits, medical aid contribution, enhanced maternity & paternity leave, parking, breakfast, drinks & snacks, fun Fridays, yoga and meditation sessions.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction.
How about you?