Black Swan Data is a fast-growing technology and data science business, with hubs in the UK, South Africa, Hungary. We build high quality SaaS solutions which automate data science using advanced machine learning and deep learning techniques. We use some of the coolest technology on the planet so you will never get bored of doing the same thing.
What you’ll do
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to support the delivery of our SaaS products. You will lead a team of engineers to deliver our SaaS solutions, working with Data Science crunching large amounts of data from across the internet.
Running a team of data engineers, you will work with colleagues from across the business to implement the technology strategy, delivering value to the organisation and achieving our goal of high levels of automation and high quality, performant code.
This is a great opportunity to join the technology team, to support the delivery of our SaaS product goals, be a role model for technology behaviours and championing a culture of a highly performant and quality driven engineering team.
Key accountabilities & responsibilities
- Own and lead our engineering capability.
- Develop an effective and highly skilled mixed team of data, backend, and frontend engineers
- Work across departments to build an engineering excellence culture
- Line management of the technical leads withing the team
- Lead the hiring and skills development of the team
- Drive an engineering expertise into our teams by promoting reliability, successful deployments, and performance.
- Manage the costs of pipelines and drive new technology
- Develop the standard methodology around CICD, code frameworks and testing
- Work with product managers to ensure that the demand is managed effectively, items sequenced and resourced effectively
- Develop and implement a strategic engineering roadmap around scaling our data platform and reducing technical debt
- Ensure build of data sets align with GDPR policies
- Implement data governance policies in particular ownership, quality, and compliance.
- Effectively communicate progress against the plan to senior business partners.
- Mentor and develop a diverse team of talent
- Set standards and share knowledge, ensuring the team remain engaged and skilled in the newest technology
KEY EXPERIENCE – the ideal candidate will have
- Job knowledge – specialist skills, experiences, qualifications, specific systems, or practices relevant to the role, latest function specific knowledge
- Business knowledge – level of commercial awareness, economic, commercial, political experience, industry specific knowledge to differentiate Black Swan from competitors
- Problem solving – analytical skills, ability to direct, lead and deliver solutions that go beyond existing ways of doing things
- People & Leadership skills – communications, leadership, and talent development skills.
- Degree in computer science/ engineering or similar
- Consistent track record in defining and implementing a data strategy
- Experience of delivering data & analytical solutions in a large-scale cloud environment
- Technical background in Backend technologies such as Java or Scala and ideally had exposure to Front End technologies as well
- Deep knowledge of data modelling and engineering practices
- Experience in running technology budgets
- Experience in cloud infrastructure, in particular AWS
- Established leadership skills and strong organisational change skills
- Good communication and influencing skills across all levels of the business
- Experience in problem analysis, intellectually curious and able to generate ideas to tackle business problems
- An outcome focused attitude with a good eye for detail and commercial value
- High standards - you will know what good looks like and want to deliver it
- Experience in working for product businesses.
You’ll be part of a dynamic and growing global team
As we continue to grow across the world, you’ll find every day brings with it fresh challenges and opportunities to try new things.
You’ll be part of a diverse, smart, agile but laid-back team passionate about technology, who are also open-minded and always open to new ideas. Because we’re serious about finding ways to do things better. Which means you’ll find serious hardware. And no red tape. Or unnecessary process. Just less noise, less disruption and more time to focus.
So you’ll get the freedom to be yourself, to do the work you want to do and the freedom to grow. You’ll be trusted to get on with things and won’t have someone checking up on you 24/7. But you’ll also be supported, coached, advised and mentored. With constant opportunities to learn.
You’ll be well looked after
Not only will you get to work with a great team, you’ll also enjoy flexible hours, the flexibility to work from home on a remote contract. Not only this, you get unlimited holiday.
We recognise and reward hard work and we’re looking for someone to grow and go places with us.
You know you’ll fit right in
Things move quickly at Black Swan Data. And so do you. You’re bright, curious and optimistic, quick to pick up new concepts and open to learning new things. You love a challenge and getting stuck right in, ready to step up and run with anything.
You’re happy to fly solo and also enjoy being part of a team. Which means you’re adaptable and easy-going. And a good communicator.
You have a great eye for detail but can also see the bigger picture. And you have that magical ability to balance perfection and delivery.
You get things done. Because you give 110%. As do we.
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Remote Working - this role is eligible for remote working within Hungary. We support remote workers with a one-off allowance for home office setup. Every remote Swan would have a chance to also come to the Hub they are linked to once a year to meet their colleagues.
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development - Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data's projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable! You will benefit from our global benefits: Share options, staff referral scheme, wellness day, flexible and remote working, internal and online training initiatives, volunteering opportunities at white swan, birthday lie in, Christmas gift cards, quarterly staff events, sunshine hours and Flexible Leave Policy.
As well as the benefits unique to our Szeged office - Sick leave payment, private health care, cafeteria system, enhanced maternity & paternity leave, drinks & snacks, fruit, Thursday Nasi time.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?