Senior Front End Developer at Black Swan Data Ltd
We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research no longer enough. Where there are slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social PredictionTM. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest-Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018, we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest-Growing Companies.
At Black Swan, we build highly scalable, language-agnostic platforms - if we find a problem we can’t solve from our technology stack, we can easily add it in as appropriate. By combining our in-house technologies, we’ve managed to double our efficiencies by using a micro-service driven architecture approach, using cutting edge technologies we build ourselves.
You will be advising the team on using appropriate technologies and architectures, along with managing and owning production services’ infrastructure to ensure services’ performance and availability matches SLAs. You will also be automating parts of the development delivery process using scripts and other appropriate tooling.
As part of Black Swan Data's Front End Development team, you will be responsible to work alongside Developers, Testers and Project Managers to collaborate with them on the development of HTML5/CSS/Angular/React based web systems from design to build and deployment.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent or experience within the relevant field
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• Displays energy, drive and stamina
• Experience using Git
• Experience with Build systems e.g. Webpack/Gulp
• Solid experience with React
• Experience with interface development toolkits: e.g. Less/SASS
• In-depth knowledge of HTML/CSS and responsive techniques
• Bonus points for knowledge of data visualisation frameworks (d3.js, AmCharts)
• Must be a strong team player
• Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
• Experience with Design and UX tools e.g. Photoshop/Balsamiq/Adobe XD/Invision/Zeplin
• Experience with hybrid mobile technologies e.g. Ionic & React Native
• Experience in At least one scripting language (Bash, Python, Groovy, Ruby)
• Experience of working with Continuous Integration (we use Gitlab and Jenkins CI)
What makes a ‘Swan’?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan Data's DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have making a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer
Remote Working - Until it is safe to return to our offices, and then up to 60% of your working month working remotely when we are back in our Hubs. Some roles will also be eligible to apply for 100% remote working.
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development - Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data's projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable! You will benefit from our global benefits: Share options, staff referral scheme, duvet day, flexible and remote working, internal and online training initiatives, volunteering opportunities at white swan, birthday lie in, Christmas gift cards, quarterly staff events, summer hours and Flexible Leave Policy.
As well as the benefits unique to our Cape Town office - Pension & Risk benefits, medical aid contribution, enhanced maternity & paternity leave, parking, breakfast, drinks & snacks, fun Fridays, yoga and meditation sessions.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?