About Black Swan Data
We are a Data Science & Creative Technology Company. We help our clients find insights and solutions that change the way they think about their business. We analyse consumer behaviour, then build cutting edge technology to create better outcomes for our clients.
Our name is derived from an ancient assumption that all swans were white, until a European explorer travelling to Australia in 1697 saw some black swans and had what is known as a ‘black swan moment’. 2 years after launch, we’re already 120 people and now have offices in Waterloo, Exeter, New York, Hungary, California and Cape Town.
A great opportunity to join a rapidly growing data and technology agency led by an experienced management team. Being passionate, a team player, and a go-getter are essential to working for this up and coming agency based in central London.
Black Swan has been awarded the top position in the Sunday Times Sage Start-Up Track 15 list.
Your mission at Black Swan will be to support development of the data science capability which underpins our core technology. As a Senior Data Scientist you will be responsible for tackling some of the toughest and most complex problems which Black Swan’s products face. The role combines hands on analysis, complex problem solving and cross functional delivery.
Your duties as a Senior Data Scientist would include:
- Working with time series and social data to provide creative data science solutions for our core product line.
- Working on difficult, often cutting-edge problems such as disambiguation, relevancy and forecasting.
- Creating production ready solutions, working with engineering to deploy solutions and productionise prototypes.
- Mentoring and supporting junior team members.
- Proven ability to provide thought leadership and drive R&D efforts.
- Highly creative.
- Organised, and comfortable in an agile work environment.
- Team player, willing to support others and engage with engineering teams.
- Excellent people skills and great communicator.
- Strong written communication and ability to clearly document work is essential.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or other physical science.
- Proven track record of applying machine learning techniques in a production context.
- Experience working with text data.
- Experience working with engineering teams on optimisation and productization of data science work.
- Deep understanding of core machine learning concepts.
- Proven track record deploying developing in a big data environment, ideally pySpark.
- Proficient programmer in Python with solid software development standards, including version control (git), testing (unittest/pytest) and virtual environments.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases (incl MongoDB).
- Experience with a wide range of NLP problems such as topic modelling, relevancy and disambiguation.
- Experience working with word embedding models such as BERT/GloVe.
- Experience working in/managing a production code base.
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or other physical science.
- Programmer in Scala.
- Deep learning, specifically for multi-horizon time series forecasting.
- Knowledge of network science. Comfortable creating and working with graphs and preforming community detection, finding connected components, eigenvector centrality etc
- Experience with Databricks.
- Familiarity with the AWS stack.
- Experienced in agile development.
- Experienced in product-driven data science development.
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Remote Working - Until it is safe to return to our offices, and then up to 60% of your working month working remotely when we are back in our Hubs. Some roles will also be eligible to apply for 100% remote working.
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development - Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data's projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable! You will benefit from our global benefits: Share options, staff referral scheme, duvet day, flexible and remote working, internal and online training initiatives, volunteering opportunities at white swan, birthday lie in, Christmas gift cards, quarterly staff events, summer hours and Flexible Leave Policy.
As well as the benefits unique to our Cape Town office -Pension & Risk benefits, medical aid contribution, enhanced maternity & paternity leave, parking, breakfast, drinks & snacks, fun Fridays, yoga and meditation sessions.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?